Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Advice on front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 66and06stangs
Success! I got the kit of front and rear sway bar (stabilizer) bushings. I could NOT get the bushings out of the rear end links, which are named very weird because they are not on the end at all... anyway, I put the front bushings in, and took it for a test drive - NO CLUNK! You guys are awesome, thank you again. I took it for a second test drive about half an hour later just to *not* hear any clunking in the front end. Very nice.

BTW, Derf, I didn't take the end links off the front at all. I simply did one front bushing at a time, I took the bolts off one, the old bushings literally fell off the bracket, put the new ones on and bolted it up, and then proceeded to the other side. That way I didn't have to mess too much with the front end. I had already put new end links on and didn't want to take them off again. The bar stayed put and it was fairly easy.

I'm curious, what brand and the part number front bushings you used ? The only way you could have installed the bushing without removing the link, is if they are a split bushing. The OEM ford bushings are not. Glad you found the problem.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:09 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

I'd have to look but got the bushing kit from CJPP. I'll see if i can get a part number when i get home. I removed the links btw, I just could not get the rubber out of the "dogbone". The new bushings were 2 piece but again, I simply could not get the old rubber out of the links, so new links with new rubber were just over $20 apiece, so I just ordered new links with rubber.
I'm sure now that this is the rattle I have been hearing from the rear, but the front is quiet as it should be.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Success! I got the kit of front and rear sway bar (stabilizer) bushings. I could NOT get the bushings out of the rear end links, which are named very weird because they are not on the end at all... anyway, I put the front bushings in, and took it for a test drive - NO CLUNK! You guys are awesome, thank you again. I took it for a second test drive about half an hour later just to *not* hear any clunking in the front end. Very nice.

BTW, Derf, I didn't take the end links off the front at all. I simply did one front bushing at a time, I took the bolts off one, the old bushings literally fell off the bracket, put the new ones on and bolted it up, and then proceeded to the other side. That way I didn't have to mess too much with the front end. I had already put new end links on and didn't want to take them off again. The bar stayed put and it was fairly easy.
Nice, glad you got the noise resolved! Yeah, I'm curious like Art what part you ordered that is/was split. Most sway bar bushing are split so no big deal. Just the OEM mustang ones aren't.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:11 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Dammit. The new complete assemblies surprised me by being delivered last night, so i forgot to see what I got from CJPP. I'll see if I can look to see what I bought today, but if not, I'll have to look tonight. Apologies gents....
Old 04-24-2019, 08:20 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Hey, sorry to keep bumping my own thread, but I just IM'ed with CJPP and here are the 2 parts that I ordered:

For the front:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/catalogs...esult/?q=SBK30
for the rear:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/catalogs...esult/?q=SBK28

As I said, for the rear "end links" I could NOT get the rubber out of the old ones, so I never got to putting the new rubber in them. So, I just ordered new end links with new rubber, they came in last night.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:27 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Standard aftermarket Prothane bushings. Thanks for posting
Old 04-25-2019, 11:43 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like I disappointed you, apologies! I'm open for suggestions on better ones!
Old 04-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I have Prothane rear sway bar & end link bushings plus Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings on my '06 GT.
Very happy with them.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:55 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like I disappointed you, apologies! I'm open for suggestions on better ones!
No not at all. you got my attention when you said you didn't have to remove the stab. links to install the bushings.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:21 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
I have Prothane rear sway bar & end link bushings plus Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings on my '06 GT.
Very happy with them.
I have seen many VERY informative posts by you Dino. If, for whatever reason I replace the ones on the car now, I'll get your suggestions for the front.

I drove it yesterday again to work and back, love the fact that I got the clunk resolved AND the beeping. I was getting a 5x5 loud beep and it was coming directly from the airbag module. I put a 10 dollar resistor under the seat and it completely shut it up (no idea why there was no resistor under there to begin with, mystery car!).

Quick Reply: Advice on front end clunk