Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

05/06 Mustang Supercharger Tech

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM
joe13

Default RE: 05/06 Mustang Supercharger Tech

ive got a kenn bell 8psi 441hp 401trq going in next week for a 10psi pulley and 2 deg. timing also raising rev limit to 6500.
no problems yet, but a forged short block is in the near future with 18psi. now were talking
Old 10-10-2007, 02:33 PM
jlmphillips

fakesnake states "Since it was a ford kit put on by a ford dealer it is all under warranty, ..."

According to the fordracingparts.com web site the 500 HP 2007 MUSTANG GT SUPERCHARGER KIT does not come with a warranty. So, how did he get a warranty? I am interested in installing the same S/C in my 2006.

Anyone know?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:06 PM
jtmillspa

Hey everyone. Right now I'm kinda in a bind. I am not sure which supercharger to go with. I own a 2006 Roush... so the obvious answer would be to get the Roush charger... But I don't know all the details on the others, nor do I know how reliable each is. Right now, I have been looking at the Magna-charger, Vortech supercharger, Magnuson, Paxton, and of course Roush. If someone could give me the ups and downs of these superchargers, I'd appreciate the knowledge.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:01 AM
oldguy05gt

I just bought an '05 Mustang GT with automatic transmission(left hip/knee can't do the rush hour traffic anymore) from Ken Grody Ford in Carlsbad.They are big on dealer add-ons for looks, etc., so I asked them if they could do a supercharger installation. They said sure, we just have to send it to our Buena Park dealership that does that kind of modification. I asked what the brand name and psi rating would be installed in a "standard" job on the GTV8. They called the Buena Park shop andthe answer they got was "major brand, 8.5-9.5 psi."It would be covered by the warrantee still on the car, so I figured what the heck, sounds good. It was getting toward the end of the day and I had been there all afternoon, really tired, so I went for it. Last SC I had on a car in 2000 was a 9psi Vortec in an '89 Taurus SHO which pulled so hard the windshield cracked from the torque even with cross-bracing, and it was hard to hold in a straight line with the pedal down. After reading through many pages of posts here, I am kind of scratching my head and hoping I made the right move. Looking at superchargers in all the ads, it seems like what I might getwould be the Vortecrated at 8.5-9.5 psi for the stock Mustang in their ad website. One other question -I read a post saying the exhaust already has mandrel bent tubings, so would I really want to put a catback Y-pipe on this car? Not interested in other mods, should be enough power for me. I'm guessing at maybe closer to 400 hp depending on how the rating is done and if they give me a dyno slip. Hard to push these guys, they are so busy.

Any info, suggestionswill be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:33 AM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

I have a keene bell twinscrew on mine and rwhp is pushing 600. I threw 2 pistons out the block... I now have a motor from Johnny Lightning and is rated to 900 hp, no problems now. I also noticed the detonation stopped when we moved back from Germany, so I think fuel over there had a little to do with it.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:32 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

stock bottom end? ouch.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:38 AM
oldguy05gt

[quote]ORIGINAL: oldguy05gt

I just bought an '05 Mustang GT with automatic transmission(left hip/knee can't do the rush hour traffic anymore) from Ken Grody Ford in Carlsbad.They are big on dealer add-ons for looks, etc., so I asked them if they could do a supercharger installation. They said sure, we just have to send it to our Buena Park dealership that does that kind of modification. I asked what the brand name and psi rating would be installed in a "standard" job on the GTV8. They called the Buena Park shop andthe answer they got was "major brand, 8.5-9.5 psi."It would be covered by the warrantee still on the car, so I figured what the heck, sounds good. It was getting toward the end of the day and I had been there all afternoon, really tired, so I went for it. Last SC I had on a car in 2000 was a 9psi Vortec in an '89 Taurus SHO which pulled so hard the windshield cracked from the torque even with cross-bracing, and it was hard to hold in a straight line with the pedal down. After reading through many pages of posts here, I am kind of scratching my head and hoping I made the right move. Looking at superchargers in all the ads, it seems like what I might getwould be the Vortecrated at 8.5-9.5 psi for the stock Mustang in their ad website.
-----------------------
The s/c installed by the dealer was the Vortec SQ S2 S-trim which is their 8.5-9.5 psi forstock Mustangs. It's supposed to make 420 rwhp and 385 rwtqaccording toVortec on the GT -and it feels like it. I'm not totally used to it yet, but even with the auto tranny, you don't leave a stop sign or light, you LAUNCH! Iactually have to becareful at low speeds to "feather" the accelerator in traffic. The dealer had a CMR subcontractor come in and do the installation and they used a Diablo Sport Predator tuner for 93 octane to set up the s/c. There is an available bolt-on aftercharge cooler that is supposed to bring the numbers up to 462 rwhp and 419rwtq. If I could have found that out before the main s/c installation, I would have had that put on too (anyone know much about aftercharge coolers?..) This readsgood on Vortec's website.

All this work was happeningduring the California wildfires and everything was really crazy with parts and service and getting info, not to mentionevacuations and going back home etc.

Anyway, if I didn't do another thing to the engine, it is scary! A little weirdness with the trannyshifts and sometimes a slight hesistation before the s/c cuts in, but once I put some decent mufflers on it andprobably the aftercharge cooler, I want to get a real tune with the dyno at this CMR shop which is closer to me than the dealer.

Any info/comments welcome. Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM
djcowell

HI new to the forum.. and just bought a Vortech with aftercooler kit. I haven't gotten it installed yet (stangs still in the garage for the winter) I have an 06 GT. I also have dynatech LT headers, x-piped, high flow cats, magnaflow cat-back set up for exhaust.
I am wondering with that set up, does it matter if I run at a higher boost (let's say 10psi) if I have that set up for exhaust?
I have a livewire tuner, and the shop that does the install has a dyno and does custom tunes... what if any advice can I get from you guys in regard to things I may need to concider.. I have read in the forum that alot of rods are getting thrown etc.. so any one with the know could you throw me some words of wisdom? thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

It be nice if everyone who has posted their set ups check in and let us know of whether they have experienced any problems and how long & hard they have been running their systems.

ANyway, thought I would bump this thread as it seems to be dead!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 PM
demerson3814

Anyone running a Whipple HO with 255/45/18 KDWs on the rear? Would there be enough traction?

Quick Reply: 05/06 Mustang Supercharger Tech