Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

You don't need a higher stall. It'll get you lower 1/4 mile times, but it will also kill your MPG and make your car "feel" more sluggish on the street...unless of course you're stomp on it, then you'll take off like a bat outta hell! Besides, without additional cooling a high stall isn't the best thing for your transmission. I guess if you really want one it all depends on how high a stall you go with, mine is 3500 and I can't recommend it for a street car. If I could do it again I wouldn't go any higher than 3000. Just my opinion.

As for the transmission, I hate the damn thing. There are guys who are running serious power through the stock 5R55S with no problems (yet), but it's been a nightmare for me. Next time I need a rebuild I junking this POS and going with a 4R70W.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Default clutch hip!

I've been driving a cj-7 for 10 yrs and my hip is due for replacement! so when I decided to hunt for a GT I liked the prospect of an AUTO.

However, I got an 06 auto with a 5s55w and after 2 weeks I wanted to drive it off the pier.

problem is the dog gone shift lag, shift when ever it wants to blues, the new dynamic since putting in a tuner is "double shifting".....and finally..... boredom.

when I bought it the dealer stated the lag is a charactoristic of the car...OK fine, I dont like it and what can I do to step it up....they recommended a reprogramming kit from transgo and $600 for the install....Done.....

3/4 pinned great responce! cruizing speed--eratic! ...... OK fine now what? BamachipsCAI/tuner.... OK fine, again 3/4 throttle ---get out of the way, cruizing same dynamic with a sprinkling of "double shifting"!.....F*#+&!!

just yesterday I got installed 4.10s.....I dont think it will effect the trans much but at least the trill of the launch will offset the disapointment of this Auto.

My wife drives an 09 626 auto and the transition between gears at ANY speed is music...

I love my GT otherwise! ...thats the problem, everything else is perfect, the size, the the looks, the power..... I wipe it down every night, its almost therapy...

I agree with the other fella, this trans does not meet my standards and I havent started yet but I'm going to look into another Trans...

in passing has anyone heard from Doug at BAMA? i've been trying to contact him for 10 days...

Aloha,
Gil

Last edited by gils maui pony; 08-12-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 AM
BigSkyLLC
1st Gear Member

Any recent threads on T56 swap?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:41 PM
phatkat

I'm resurrecting this old post - I want to see if anyone can answer gils maui pony's trans question. I'm very curious, because I'm getting a 06 GT with the 5s55w tranny, and hope I don't have problems like this!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

A few TCI upgrades you can do to your 5R55S automatic, for extra strength where it needs it most:

TCI Billet Servo kit part# 576005 $80
TCI Billet Servo kit part# 576006 $80
TCI hardened input shaft part# 579600 $175

(prices are approximate and may vary).

The servo kits come complete with billet servos, new covers, and seals.
You need a way to compress the covers and snap-ring pliers to remove the ring holding the covers in place. I used a big bar clamp for one of the covers, and made a jig for the other.

The input shaft is easy to replace, once the converter is out: pull it out and slide the new one in. The shaft has shorter gear teeth on the back end; that's the end that goes into the transmission. The end with longer teeth goes into the converter. Look at the stock one as you pull it out, one side has longer teeth than the other.

Input shaft:

Overdrive servo kit:

Installed: (The brass fitting out the side of the pan is a custom dipstick tube.)

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with TCI, just posting up use of their stuff on my ride.)
Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 PM
mike stefaniak

can anyone tell me about how well a rousch stage 3 engine works with auto trans.there is 1 for sale,is this possible,can trans. handle it.it is supercharged
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by texasstang1962
ok, i have an 08 gt 3v-auto. some of the guys at work are busting my b%lls for having an automatic, but i love it, i drove a 4cyl stick- toyota p/u for 20yrs,i'm sick of shifting, i call it "clutch foot" it felt so good to have an auto, no shifting AWWWW feels so nice. And my stang " I feel, runs great" i have Vortech v3 s-trim, dyno sheet reads, 439hp -stock h-pipe. Is my tranny weak or something, should i have a different stahl conv installed, or what. can someone tell me that my auto trans is a good strong one for an 08, please tell me something good about my tranny, so i can print it out and show the guys @ work that my 08 automatic trans is not a weakling.
( Or,,,are they right ) ?
Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.
I too came from driving a standard for years. Tell your buddies to **** off! If I want my car to go, just mash the freakin pedal. Forget shifting.. I ain't going back. Then again, I usually text, eat, shave, get dressed for work, read the newspaper, and sleep while driving so my Auto suits me just fine.

LOL!!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:53 PM
hammer1981

what is needed to swap a auto to manual for a 2006 mustang gt
Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM
keysflier

Default No backup (reverse) lights

My ride is a 97 GT 4.6L with the T-45 five-speed transmission. Recently installed an aftermarket short-throw shifter. Readjusted the shifter soon after installation to get more solid shift into reverse. Transmission shifts into reverse easily now - most of the time - still jumps out occasionally if I don't make sure it's securely seated.

Thought I had this whole problem fixed, then discovered I have no backup lights. My 'spidey sense' is telling me the throw into revesre is still falling a little short and I'm not making contact on the switch that controls these lights, but I don't know if I can make an external adjustment or if this is something I have to tear into the gear box for.

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Tim2005

im looking into replacing stock shifter with a steeda or pro 5.0 i called matt over at dasilva racing and he went on to tell me that every shifter hes tried has been to sloppy and that he put his stock shifter back in and runs low 10's off the stock tranny set up...any one else find this to be a problem..sloppy aftermarket shifters? he did say he favours the hurst though

Quick Reply: Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech