4 Cylinder General Discussion For non tech 4 Cylinder owner chit chat

Newbie needs some HELP!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie needs some HELP!!!

Have read sometimes air gets trapped in the heater. Read somewhere jack up front so radiator cap is above the heater. Let run till water circulates and put cap back on.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

id try bypassing the heater core, it doesn't take all that long and you only need maybe a foot of heater hose. worst case scenario you're out a few bucks and wasted a small amount of time. i wouldn't write off the head gasket either, but id try to get the air out and bypass the heater core before tearing into anything
Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM
mustangman66

Here's an update: and to everyone who helped, thanks. Now for the part where I feel like a jackass....apparently it just took a while for the fuel treatment to do it's job, runs great now, no smoke at all. Idles a lot smoother, more power. And for the heater, (feels like a jackass), it's the heater core. I'm fairly old school when it comes to heater cores, so when one is bad or leaks, I'm used to cleaning up the mess out of the floorboard. Last night I just happened to be under the hood looking around and noticed a black rubber grommet down low on the firewall. Pulled out the Chilton's and discovered it's a drain for the heater core. Guess what, it was wet, and there was a little pool of coolant down below on the suspension. Now I'm in the process of yanking out the dash and installing a new core. Hardest heater core I've ever had to change by the way.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:50 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Swap in a non a/c heater box, take the core out from the glove box... unless you like A/C
Old 02-14-2008, 08:15 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

I swapped a heater core just the other day and you don't actually have to pull out the whole dash, just the center console, stereok, heater controls, blower motor, glovebox, and the metal plate under the steering column. All I did was unbolt the box that the heater core was in and wrestle it to the right of the car enough to where I could just unbolt the access cover and slip in the new heater core and then everything goes back to together pretty easily.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 PM
D-Bell

John I. "Luke" or "Luc" Lucas, Papa Tiger FAC and MiG -19 kill guy plus Skyraider pilot at Bernie Fisher's MOH with Nordie Norwood. Come up email to themachster@gmail.com It is very important! D-Bell
Old 06-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Daniel Bente

I'd say it sounds like you put too much Lucas in your car. I'd add some new gas to the mixture and as for the heater issue, thermostat sounds like the way to go.