4 Cylinder General Discussion For non tech 4 Cylinder owner chit chat

1993 2.3 dual spark mileage

Old 10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
skipkelly

Question 1993 2.3 dual spark mileage

I just got a very clean '93 ragtop w/2.3 dual spark. Run s great, if gutless, but main concern is fuel mileage. get 23mpg highway. I think it should be better. The car has 117k miles on it. Also it runs cold, temp gauge barely comes up. Any help out there?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:18 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Change the thermostat to 190*. Pull codes
Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
skipkelly

just got new 195 deg thermo, will install this weekend thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 12:19 AM
al_ngl
4th Gear Member

I hit 36 mpg average for a while and was planning for 40mpg. I have a 93 notchback dual plug. Haven't really tried that hard lately though (gas is getting cheap enough I'm not caring as much, hope it stays low a while). When I switched to 190* thermostat it helped a lot, yours should be better too.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 AM
skipkelly

Default 2.3 mpg

36 mpg sounds great. What else to improve mpg? I run 96 neon to work and get about that using clean air filter, full synth oil, and max tire press. Will do same to stang. I hate to say it but I think the piece o crap neon could outrun the stang as is. Mustang is much nicer ride in every other way. Also, anyone add HHO to the 2.3, or is it a bunch of B.S. ? Perfomance and mileage, performance and mileage, performance and mileage, Oommm...
Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

HHO is a load of ****.

They need to show me test results of an HHO system on the same car compaired to a non HHO system.

al_ngl did a full tune up, removed a piece of his silencer, filled is car with PREMIUM and drove a little slower
Old 10-18-2008, 04:46 AM
Touring
1st Gear Member

So did you get it installed yet skipkelly?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 AM
Touring
1st Gear Member

how hard is it to replace the thermostat?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:30 PM
al_ngl
4th Gear Member

Thermostat's aren't hard to replace on the 2.3. The most time consuming part is draining the radiator.

And here's my list of simple mods:
new tires, properly inflated
removal of tire kit (have AAA, and spare tire is bad) -30lbs?
A/C delete
Silencer delete
tune up with better than stock parts
1/2 synthetic oil
190* thermostat
Ported exhaust manifold
93 octane gas
I did drive a bit slower when I got 36 mpg, but at least once a day I'd fool around. Now I kinda drive 1/2 and 1/2. I may be getting 24 mpg now because my EGR still isn't plugged back in. I have to have someone braze the pipes together for my custom egr tube.

Gas mileage is definitely doable if you try for it. Most of the things I did needed to be done anyway, so it only makes sense to buy the most economical parts. I've been told I've added about 50 hp to my car, so I have a car with about 50% more power than stock and can get 36 mpg. my goal is 40 mpg under my type of driving, but I haven't started throwing out all of the comfort stuff yet to make that possible.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:05 PM
skipkelly

Old thermostat in 3 pieces. Job not too difficult, but I loosened timing cover to make access to lower bolt easier. It allowed me to push the cover to the right about a 1/4 inch. Also radiator hose connection on thermostat housing was rough from corrosion and had a small hole. I wire brushed it and put a thin coat of blue silicone on it and the hole was covered by the hose and clamp. No leaks! Probably should replace it though. In addition I've added new air cleaner, and maxed out the tires to 35#. I put a tank of regular in today and set the trip odometer as I have with every tank so far. Have synth. oil and hi-flow filter to install tomorrow. Thanks for reminder about spare tire, I dont carry them in my other cars either. Have fix-o-flat, will travel! Oh, yeah, heater works better and perfomance seems to be improving. Thanks to all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 2.3 dual spark mileage