4 Cylinder General Discussion For non tech 4 Cylinder owner chit chat

93 2.3L No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 02:52 AM
Jc1993lx

Default 93 2.3L No Spark

Well,
I guess a little bit of backstory may help to paint the right picture.
A few months back I was driving on unfamiliar country roads in the rain. I saw a puddle and since it appeared to be a mainish road, I never saw it coming. I hit the puddle, which turned out to be more of a small lake, at about 15 mph. Half way through the engine died and I lost all power. I opened the door to get out and realized the water was up to the bottom of the door.
Fast Forward a little-
I made efforts to remove as much of the water from the engine as I could. Which included a large handful of oil changes /flushes, new plugs, wires and of course hours of cleaning.
I was able to get the car started after some effort a few weeks later. However, this is where the problems really began.
I had the battery had been charging prior to getting it started. I attempted a short drive to see how it acted and very quickly realized there was other issues. Power began to fluctuate while driving and eventually lost all power.
Got the car back home and began testing and poking around. My alternator was dead. No biggie, got a new one and threw it on, charged up the battery and tried to give it a go. Nope. Cranks nice and strong but wont start.
I noticed previously when trying to start it, I could hear it attempting to start. Almost a chugging and rumble. I suppose the noise an engine makes when attempting to produce combustion. This time there was none of that. Sounded as if there was something missing.
I immediately checked the spark plugs. They appeared to have little to no dirt/oil/debris on them but I went ahead and bought a new set anyway.
Got the new plus in and tried it again, nothing. Still not getting any spark.
I noticed the ignition coils had a big of "Oldness" on them so I went ahead and replaced them with a nice new set. Still no spark.
It seems I have power coming from the plug that goes into the coils but it seems to stop there. Or maybe, I should be looking for a different type of current or even in a different location.
As you can probably tell, my knowledge around this type of thing would be novice at best.
Ive been reading different forums and websites for a few weeks now but I don't seem to see my issue.
It appears the next step back would be to test the ICM, but I'm not sure how to check this.
Not sure if this helps but I have checked to make sure I'm getting fuel, its getting air, all fuses under dash are good and now I'm looking for a little help or guidance.