MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4 Cylinder NA and Turbo (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-cylinder-na-and-turbo-65/)
-   -   4 cylinder to v8 Swap (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-cylinder-na-and-turbo/157611-4-cylinder-to-v8-swap.html)

RacquetballRyan 07-26-2006 07:10 PM

4 cylinder to v8 Swap

I have recently completed the swap, and I am very satisfyed with it.
Although during the swap I was getting fustrated because I kept needing more parts than I though I would. Which delayed the project from getting done. So to be a bit helpful I decided to put together a list of every little thing I needed throughout the swap.

The V8 Engine (Of course)
5.0 Transmission/Bellhousing*
Bolts for the Bellhousing-Transmission
Headers
Mid-pipes
The Catback Exhaust
5.0 Motor mounts (or the mounts for whatever engine you are dropping in.)
Clutch
Flywheel
Flywheel Fastners
5.0 Starter
CAI or Stock intake
8.8' Rear end
5.0 Driveshaft
v8 Clutch Cable (I highly Suggest a firewall adjuster to go along with it)
v8 Clutch Quadrant (The clutch won't catch with the 4 cyl.)
5.0 Radiator
5.0 Fan
5.0 Wiring Harness
5.0 Computer
v8 Crossmember

A few things to watch out for!

I had to trouble shoot for a while during the swap. I had a bit of trouble getting fuel pressure after I got everything ready. Turns out I got the main and return confused. So mark that off, and make sure you have those straight.
Fuel Lines Before the swap I would HIGHLY advise to look for the fuel lines. 50resto.com has the set for 114. So if you have the money thats the way to go. It sucks have the engine in and then having to make cheap custom lines that will burn up quick. So spend the extra dollars on the fuel lines, or set aside a large amount of time to find them in a Junk Yard.
My oddest trouble was with the Clutch Cable Quadrant. It isn't something you really think about although you definately need to switch it. I finally finished up, and I started it up and was about to drive it for the first time, although when I tried to let go of the clutch it wouldn't catch and I just kept rolling back. The 5.0 Cable is a more heavy duty cable, and it stripped the gears on the 4 cylinder clutch quadrant. So I ended up going down to the Ford place and bought the Ford Racing Quadrant for $30 This is a really tricky piece to remove as well. This took me 2 days to remove and replace. There are two ways to do this, you can either remove the entire dash for quick access to the quadrant and remove it that way. Although changing the quadrant is easier this way, you now have to deal with all the trouble the dash causes. Or you can just struggle with it for a few days by trying to weave in and out of the steering column for it. Thats what I did and it is extremely frustrating although I never had to touch the dash.:D

*The 4 cyl. transmission will work although you will need to buy a bellhousing meant for the v8 along with a pilot bearing which is only around $5, and the bellhousing is around $180. I bought the bellhousing from Summitracing.com and the pilot bearing from Carquest.
(The only thing that is different between the transmissions is first gear.)

These are all of the things that I encountered during my swap. If you have any technical questions or where to find these parts you can contact me at RacquetballRyan1990@msn.com. Thanks for looking, and I hope you found this helpful.

ts91stang 07-26-2006 07:32 PM

RE: 4 cylinder to v8 Swap

nice this is very helpfull ive been looking at doing this swap. one thing ive heard that you need but didnt include are the springs and things like that. did you just use the old ones for now?

RacquetballRyan 07-26-2006 07:40 PM

I kept the ones up front, I heard it handles better (Which is true)
And I kept the shocks in the back although I had to add in the quad shocks and the springs in the back as well.
This set up lowered my car a good 1.5 in the front and around 2 in the back. It handles really well and I'd definately recommend keeping parts of the 4 cyl suspension. I am very happy with my set-up.

ts91stang 07-26-2006 07:44 PM

ok just checking, im not big on suspension parts what are quad shocks?

RacquetballRyan 07-26-2006 07:51 PM

The 5.0 has 4 total shocks in the back, the 4 cyl has two.
Here is a rough drawing as to what I'm talking about.
The 4 cyl only has the shock labeled 1
The 5.0 has 1 and 2

[IMG]local://upfiles/38255/42ED17CED12A4F6DA08E98679D3E2E69.jpg[/IMG]

ts91stang 07-26-2006 07:54 PM

ok, i shoulda known that.
thanks,

Jugador 07-26-2006 10:24 PM

this is a good list, and if anyone else has more input on the subject feel free to add it and we can put it in the stickies when i get everything organized and set up

also i was just wondering about the computer and harness part of the swap. i've heard that if you don't get your exact year harness and computer that it will generally make for more wiring headache, but i've also heard that as long as you go with the right era (like 87-88 together and 89-93 together) that it would work. i know my friend had a 91 and i think he used an 89 harness and computer so he had to deal with the airbag situation. basically if i have a 93, would i be ok as long as i stayed with a 90 or newer harness?

86_GT_Mustang 07-26-2006 10:57 PM

stickey

88 rubber eater 07-27-2006 12:04 AM

.Jugador, I've been told the exact same thing multiple times, dont switch up the years. So if yours is a 93 then use a 90 or newer harness. Of course i'm no expert so if theres a little glitch with this situation I dont know please fill me in ;).

And Ryan, this was a good idea and I'm sure some people who were just contemplating the idea before will go for it now since they have an experienced and helpful person to talk to :). M ybrother just picked up his car today (finally). Its an 87? i think, so many numbers to remember lol, 4 cylinder auto. He already has big plans. I knew I could get him addicted to the horsepower, so he wants to do pretty much exactly the same set-up I'm planning on. Now I need a notch to work with (HINT HINT, NUDGE NUDGE, I want to buy a notch! If anybody is interested in selling theirs or knows a friend of a friend send them my way. I would prefer to get an 8 cylinder 5spd with a blown engine since I'm replacing it any way and it already will have the 8.8 rearend and other v8 stuff. I think I'll put this in my sig too lol) But back on topic, I want to build a 393W stroker motor to tear up the streets and so does he. I'll have him join the forum and I'm sure he'll be talking to you ryan!
-Matt

alexr 07-27-2006 12:45 AM

nice tech article[sm=smiley20.gif]

if you dont mind, you should add an (estimated) price total (actually 2 would be even better, one with the engine and tranny included and one without).