4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

hey anyone into the drift scene?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Sec2Nun
1st Gear Member

Default RE: hey anyone into the drift scene?

shows how uneducated some of you are about drifting, theres alot more into drifting than just going fast and taken turns sideways any average joe can drop a clutch and punch it full throttle straight down a 1/4mile strip its not that hard, on the other hand rally racing, and road racing is a very respectable sport. i do enjoy road coarse racing. and skar to answer your question you can drive your car as a daily driver with a drifting suspension hell with a drifting suspension setup in my opinion you get a better ride. trust me not just anyone can drift, you dont see many guys who can drift at 90-120mphs. most (well all of the D1 professional drifters)have easily well over 700horse power.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:12 PM
SKAR

Yes i agree with you, drifting is hard, it takes skill to hold a line sideays at those speeds

I see drag racing as weekend fun maybe a few times a summer but not to build a car as,

On the other hand drifting is more for show, 90% of the time the corners could be taken quicker without going into a "drift"
Old 07-14-2007, 06:11 PM
SmallBlockFloyd
3rd Gear Member

Not to be rude, but you should not post in this thread again.

Drifting was started in road racing back in the day, and it was being done to enter and exit a corner faster than conventional means. It was then pulled from some famous racers in the 40's/50's to used on the mountain roads in japan, where it became pretty famous in the 70's. then it progressed in growth there, and now has started hitting the us fairly hard.

So, before you know even your general outline of history, please refrain from making comments that could be wrong. I am going to openly admit, I do not know the racers names, nor do I intend to make it seem as if I know more than the average enthusiast, who is not drawn to it by 'oh sweet, did you see how they went around that corner on the track' crowd member. I am interested in it, as used on the curvy, hilly tight, hair pin corner street roads it was found famous for in the first place. Want to do some real street drifting, come to the ozarks in missouri/arkansas, lots of tight 'country' roads that are great for it. Want to be all show, go drift on a circuit.

You want to know more, google it, and do more research. The fact is, drifting was a technique used to exit tight turns faster than you could do, driving normally in said corner, with clutch, engine breaking, and throttle usage all together. Looking cool coming out of a corner is all oppinion. There is quite a bit of a speed gain, from properly drifting. Now, sending all this smoke everywhere when you do it, is more of the show scene. Just getting the car to 'get loose' in the back half, and swing around is all it takes really, and about all you will want to be doing on street roads, or more likely capable of, running a minor mod 2.3T.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

If you want someplace to drift but you are in a slow car (2.3 Mustang) try some curvy gravel roads. I live down in the ozarks and we have those allover the place. It is kinda fun untill you run into a ditch going 45 mph.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:54 AM
SKAR

ORIGINAL: SmallBlockFloyd

Not to be rude, but you should not post in this thread again.

Drifting was started in road racing back in the day, and it was being done to enter and exit a corner faster than conventional means. It was then pulled from some famous racers in the 40's/50's to used on the mountain roads in japan, where it became pretty famous in the 70's. then it progressed in growth there, and now has started hitting the us fairly hard.

So, before you know even your general outline of history, please refrain from making comments that could be wrong. I am going to openly admit, I do not know the racers names, nor do I intend to make it seem as if I know more than the average enthusiast, who is not drawn to it by 'oh sweet, did you see how they went around that corner on the track' crowd member. I am interested in it, as used on the curvy, hilly tight, hair pin corner street roads it was found famous for in the first place. Want to do some real street drifting, come to the ozarks in missouri/arkansas, lots of tight 'country' roads that are great for it. Want to be all show, go drift on a circuit.

You want to know more, google it, and do more research. The fact is, drifting was a technique used to exit tight turns faster than you could do, driving normally in said corner, with clutch, engine breaking, and throttle usage all together. Looking cool coming out of a corner is all oppinion. There is quite a bit of a speed gain, from properly drifting. Now, sending all this smoke everywhere when you do it, is more of the show scene. Just getting the car to 'get loose' in the back half, and swing around is all it takes really, and about all you will want to be doing on street roads, or more likely capable of, running a minor mod 2.3T.
Who are you aiming at? I made my statement about doing clean corners quicker because you can keep a smoother line, which is what its all about, whereas on tight corners (mountains) drifitng will hold a smoother line and keep speed up

Ive had this discussion many times before, and all out stadium drifting is more for show, in a wide open course as used why not fly through the course without losing speed.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 PM
SmallBlockFloyd
3rd Gear Member

Skar, I was talking to you. If you read closely, you will see i said drifting is faster in hilly, curvy, hair pin corners, not a huge nascar corner, K. Of course in a wide turn, open track such as nascar drifting is not only near impossible, threw those few corners, but you would be much more a hazard to everyone on the track, including yourself.

Drifting is all about tight corners, why would your point even be relevant to the topic of hairpin corner racing?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM
SKAR

Im agrreing with what your saying here, it is best on tight corners, i just stated that in the now common stadium drifting all the corners are really wide and its judged on show.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 PM
One Bad MOFO
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bacon57

If you want someplace to drift but you are in a slow car (2.3 Mustang) try some curvy gravel roads. I live down in the ozarks and we have those allover the place. It is kinda fun untill you run into a ditch going 45 mph.
you saying that 4 cylinder mustangs are slow [&:]

never rode in mine then huh
/sarcasm