4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Fender Repainting Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Default Fender Repainting Advice Needed

Hi all,

I was looking for some advice from members who have done some body work to there Mustangs and any other car in general.

I have a used fender that is needing to be repainted to match the colour of my Mustang. It has some spots of surface rust too that need to be taken care of.

So what is the best way to tackle this job? Im assuming using a high grit wet/dry sand paper, sand the whole fender, prime it then paint, wet sand and paint again. Then finish with clear coat.

Any tips from you guysor advice?

Thank you so much.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Fender Repainting Advice Needed

Use a sandblaster if you can. They make the work go by fast, but if you don't have one of those than a wire wheel works just about as good.

If you can use POR15 to stop the rust, if you can't get it than grab self etching primer, sealer, then sandable primer and you should never have a rust issue again.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
speedjunkie92
4th Gear Member

sleeper wtf are you talking about? ok listen to tackle that job you need some scotchbrite scuff the whole fender, the surface rust can be taken off by some 400 grit DRY sand paper get rid of your sand dust prime the BARE metal and squirt your paint by a low air psi at the 4 finger rule.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedjunkie92

sleeper wtf are you talking about? ok listen to tackle that job you need some scotchbrite scuff the whole fender, the surface rust can be taken off by some 400 grit DRY sand paper get rid of your sand dust prime the BARE metal and squirt your paint by a low air psi at the 4 finger rule.
DUH IDK, MAYBE THE DUMBASS (YOU) WILL TELL ME[sm=grin.gif]

The best way to get rid of rust is to blast, cut, or grind it off. To prep for paint (where there is no rust) a simple sand (dry) will work fine.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM
speedjunkie92
4th Gear Member

sleeper please dont argue with me, i worked at a few body shops as a prep and paint guy and now im back in one i think i know what im talking about i have never and i mean never sand blasted a panel only frames, and scotch brite will work perfect sanding a replacement fender is nessacery
Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

sleeper please dont argue with me, i worked at a few body shops as a prep and paint guy and now im back in one i think i know what im talking about i have never and i mean never sand blasted a panel only frames, and scotch brite will work perfect sanding a replacement fender is nessacery
Lol, you need to get into more shops lol.

I'm right NEXT to one of the best body sops in Regina Saskatchewan and I always talk to them and they say the best way is to sandblast the rust, at least wire wheel or grind the area down to bare metal so you can use the right products, cassie saver, POR 15, etc. Then the right primer (self etching) and then add bondo ontop and sand it smooth. Add more if there is divits/not flush like it should be. After the filler is straight, now you add sandable primer, block sand the car so it's straight, then add sealer to stop water from getting in. Paint the car after making sure it's clean, de-greased, and in a no-dust area.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 PM
speedjunkie92
4th Gear Member

no bondo before primer i need to see pics of the rust before you talk about restoring the whole fender, but surface rust can be taken care of by 400 grit sand paper , the scotch brite might even take the rust off, best body shop my *** thats the canadian way lol
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

no bondo before primer i need to see pics of the rust before you talk about restoring the whole fender, but surface rust can be taken care of by 400 grit sand paper , the scotch brite might even take the rust off, best body shop my *** thats the canadian way lol
**** YOUR DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF do you think self etching primer is?!!!!!!!???!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

God damn, no wonder you have been in many shops... They fire your *** because you don't know ****!

Umm... al the cars I've seen roll out of their shop look brand new unlike the shop your in

Don't try to argue with me, I caught you in your bluff and showed how stupid you are when it comes to body work so STFU!

You put the bondo on after the primer so the metal dosen't touch the water/moisture (sp) in the bondo that will cause rust to start before the sealer would even be applied.

I've done it bothe ways and te way I did it the 2nd time (self etching primer - bondo - sandable primer - sealer - paint) I don't have rust, the way you told him to do it I also did and I have rust showing through...
Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
speedjunkie92
4th Gear Member

dumb *** if the panel is wet of corse it will rust but your panel must be dry, primer dont mean ****, most self etching primer crinkles when it gets hot wtf do you think bondo does when it dries it heats up, moisture does not go through metal, after bondo dries sand it into shape and then prime it then you can smooth it out with wet sand paper once pirmer is dry re prime it and its ready, and if you think i dont know body work ask my brother he'll shut your *** up
Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

dumb *** if the panel is wet of corse it will rust but your panel must be dry, primer dont mean ****, most self etching primer crinkles when it gets hot wtf do you think bondo does when it dries it heats up, moisture does not go through metal, after bondo dries sand it into shape and then prime it then you can smooth it out with wet sand paper once pirmer is dry re prime it and its ready, and if you think i dont know body work ask my brother he'll shut your *** up
You mean turbo LX?

He's the most self indulgent person I've ever met besides my sister.

Its either his way or the high way. You take after your brother, fighting with a 16 year old. Really, who is really the smart one here?

Post the proof or STFU and GTFO like you always do because you got proven wrong, took your ball and went home. You then come back to bring **** back up with either me or tbird. So please do us a favor and leave.

Quick Reply: Fender Repainting Advice Needed