4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

positive cable end turning black

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 PM
forreal
1st Gear Member

Default positive cable end turning black

anyone know why my positive cable end is turning black?its a replacment from autozone its been about 6 months than
Old 08-23-2008, 11:57 AM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

corrosion?? idk.. maybe melting insulation and discoloration
Old 08-23-2008, 05:58 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Is the wire warm? if it's super hot then the wire gauge is to small and you need a thicker wire.

If thats fine then I would check to make sure nothing is catching fire
Old 08-24-2008, 03:46 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

too small of gauge or bad connection would be my guess.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 PM
forreal
1st Gear Member

this is crazy i have a fan problem the ground is good going to the fan .i plug the connector into the fan and then the power wire(the wire that powers the fan on ) turns from no power or ground to a ground .is this right.if so why when i jump the fan from the battery using the body ground from the plug and put power to the fan from the battery the wire i use gets hot and melts.but the fan will work until i cant hold the wire ...
Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

your fan is not working as it should stock? or do you have an aftermarket switch in there?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

I have mine getting power from the positive side of the starter "control" (forgot the name) and I control the ground from a switch inside the car,
Old 08-27-2008, 10:38 AM
forreal
1st Gear Member

yes it is stock . and sleeper i dont have a clue what your talking about i like my factory things to work as factory lol
Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 AM
macadoo
2nd Gear Member

can you give a little more info on what you want to do with the fan are you tring to bypass the sensors that make the fan kick on and off and just straight wire it? the fan has a pos and a neg ground the neg and then the pos through a switch from any power source prefer a source that is off when the switch is off they make stuff for fuse box to be able to do this it is a fuse with an end on it to attach a wire to. it is a safe way
Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
forreal
1st Gear Member

well i want it factory .sensors and all to work .but my fan is bad i think. is the ground the left or right wire in the connector looking from the battery side?.i have the black wire on the left conncetor in the fan and the power on the right side of the plug,again the ground is there ,i have a test light that turns from green to red to no color .when i check the power wire its has no color ,but as soon as i plug the connector into the fan my no colored power wire turns to a ground ,i know that it gets the power from the fan control (dont know if this is working correctly or not ) ,but should it go to a groung when i plug the connecter in ? if i jump it from the power from the battery the fan turns on but the wire i jumped it with melts along wth the brn/yel wire (power)...im tappinging into the brw/yel wire that goes to the fan..i guess wouldnt the power wire stay no color until the fan controller throws a red power to my test light????????

Last edited by forreal; 08-27-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: positive cable end turning black