4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

1993 Mustang LX N/A 2.3L

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:31 PM
93RedBird

Ok, so I just went out and pulled the air silencer, gutted it, etc...I dont really notice much of a difference, if any. It may just be all in my head, but it seems slower to rev up, my power steering and power brakes feel like they're now WEAKER, and I really don't notice any changes in response, accelleration, nothing...it just maybe got a tad bit louder/deeper tone. Can't put it back together they way it was cuz the insert piece cracked into a bunch of little pieces on the way out. Is there supposed to be a gap where the widest part of the insert used to attach to the main cylinder? Just doesn't seem right to me...
Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 PM
zonker
1st Gear Member

it could be that the car has other issues keeping u from taking advantage of the upgrades, and the silencer removal thing has degraded your low rpm power and throttle response.

i found that removing the silencer tube affects low end torque, and my guess is that because the 91-93 is MAF equipped, the air suction that is required to make the MAF respond with immediate fuel and timing changes has been compromised with having a larger undirected cavity of air in the silencer housing.

using a straight tube in it's place will improve things. I put a 2.75" aluminum tube in the silencers place and removed the maf screen and i have similar off the line characteristics as stock, as well as a stronger power band up high.

also, check your cam timing... 2 of the 3 cars i've recently bought all had their timing belt installed 1 tooth retarded.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:15 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

I had built myself a cold air intake out of PVC when mine was still an N/A. Worked out pretty well! I think I still have a write up somewhere about what I did. I can try to find that if your interested.

Pacesetter also makes tubular headers for these engines. I had one of those on mine too. Then 2 1/2" exhaust into a flowmaster 40 series. The combo of the nice, free flowing cold air intake matched with the better flowing exhaust made a difference, but don't expect any too spectacular except for the sound. Big 4 bangers with flowmasters just plain sound cool! The N/A versions of these engines are dogs unless you do a lot of work, both mechanically and tuning wise.

Right now is a good time to save your money and do your research to figure out what you really want to do with your car. I like a challenge, and be different than anyone else. So I loved making big power with my little 4 cyl. Got a doner TC for $500! The entire drive line will pretty much bolt right up. I did a little, ok, a lot more than was required for the swap, but man its fun to blow by stock 302's, then pop the hood for them!

Take your time, do your research, and driving it as is for a few years won't hurt. It'll give you more time to collect parts as you go so you can get what you really want, not just what you can afford at the time. (voice of experience here!)

Enjoy!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:57 AM
93RedBird

What I WANT is a V8. I have pretty much everything I need for it already, so it's just a matter of getting my parents to say ok to me putting it in, and it's done. This is just a fun little project to hold me over until then. Maybe I should go out and take pics of my huge stockpile of parts in my garage to give you an idea of the full scope of what I've collected over the years...I'll get on that later today :P

"2 1/2" exhaust into a flowmaster 40 series. The combo of the nice, free flowing cold air intake matched with the better flowing exhaust made a difference, but don't expect any too spectacular except for the sound. Big 4 bangers with flowmasters just plain sound cool!"

Take a vid and put it on youtube? I'd like to hear how that sounds.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM
93RedBird

Babybudistmonk, it looks like you've dumped quite a bit of money into yours though. Maximum Motorsports caster cambers, looks like a MM tubular k member? Judging from the caster camber plates, I'd say you most likely upgraded your suspension, I'd bet you put in coil-overs, maybe did a 5 lug conversion, and you probabaly put on a different power steering pump while you had everything that far apart.

Given that, I bet your interior looks like crap though. And judging by your side mirrors, it's also a convertible, therefore I'd conclude that you probabaly reinforced the frame. Also, I hate notchbacks.

Am I pretty much on point here?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
93RedBird

Also, judging by what I've read in other threads, you have a fondness for air/fuel and boost readings. I'll bet you took out the center air vents and put in a gauge cluster so you could have boost, air/fuel, and probabaly something else in there, since most gauge clusters I see usually have 3 gauges.

Or maybe you just put in a pop-out cup holder so you can have your can of blue ribbon with you. xD
Old 12-17-2010, 01:31 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 93RedBird
Babybudistmonk, it looks like you've dumped quite a bit of money into yours though. Maximum Motorsports caster cambers, looks like a MM tubular k member? Judging from the caster camber plates, I'd say you most likely upgraded your suspension, I'd bet you put in coil-overs, maybe did a 5 lug conversion, and you probabaly put on a different power steering pump while you had everything that far apart.

Given that, I bet your interior looks like crap though. And judging by your side mirrors, it's also a convertible, therefore I'd conclude that you probabaly reinforced the frame. Also, I hate notchbacks.

Am I pretty much on point here?
Originally Posted by 93RedBird
Also, judging by what I've read in other threads, you have a fondness for air/fuel and boost readings. I'll bet you took out the center air vents and put in a gauge cluster so you could have boost, air/fuel, and probabaly something else in there, since most gauge clusters I see usually have 3 gauges.

Or maybe you just put in a pop-out cup holder so you can have your can of blue ribbon with you. xD
That will get you help to your questions, and are you sure your mature enough to handle a v8 conversion
Old 12-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

No 5 lug conversion, no power steering. Granatelli k member, Body AND INTERIOR in IMMACULATE condition. Made my own gauge cluster. Oh, and most of us who are willing to put this much work into their cars don't do too much drinking and driving. No cup holders.

It was a really cheap build. You don't have to dump a lot of money in to look/work that good, just a lot of elbow grease.

Have fun with your v8
Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 PM
93RedBird

I've never had a drink in my life. Simply commenting on the can of blue ribbon you have on your car in the pic.

As I've said, I'm not putting the V8 in just yet. Looking to build up what I have as a fun little project until I finally do put in a V8. I was thinking about cams, heads, etc.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:34 PM
93RedBird

I understand your build so well, because I'm doing a very similar build on my moms old '87 t-top 5.0 (hatchback!), except with a 5 lug conversion (plan on rigging in ABS from a newer stang) and I put the control arms on a power steering pump from a '96 stang to get more road feel. Other than that, I've already put on coil overs, racing springs in the rear, welded in supports in the floor pan and also supports to keep the rear end in place when we put all that power on it.

To stave off any insinuations that I don't "put that much work into my car," maybe you should check this out:

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...loor%20Boards/

Quick Reply: 1993 Mustang LX N/A 2.3L