4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Homemade Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:03 PM
skitz

how is what i was doing trolling? i was curious about the idea just like the poster was and if i asked a dumb question, i would expect people to have the decency to explain that its a dumb question and not try to bash me into the dirt and leave this site. all i know is more often than not it takes months to get a reply on here so saying a post has been dead for 2 months really means nothing. oh, and i dont need 4k posts on this site to know when people are forwardly attacking a new guy.

see how long i last, f*ck you!

then if your so damn good with cars, browsing the hell outta 4cyl n/a engine help forums and bashing people, why didnt you help me when i started posting on here when i really needed it. worthless a**hole
Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Out of the ENTIRE thread there were two constructive posts. And i've seen you guys complain the 4cyl gets no love on this board...wonder why?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Supercharging a 2.3 is a legitimate question, indeed. But anybody with half a brain would be able to guess that using a leaf blower as a supercharger would not be the way to do it.

4 cylinders in general get less love because of the "V8 is best" mentality of the Mustang crowd, same hate as much of the 6 cylinder crowd gets these days. Add in the fact that they barely have the power to get out of their own way, and they do make an easy target.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 PM
mikerp76
1st Gear Member

cool and i think i have the perfect way to install one as well. since ihave a convertible a/c is aout worthless here in tx. so i could in thoery remove the a/c compressor and moun a aupercharger in it's pot and run it off of the a/c belt.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Hey skitz you're bashing people on a post you had nothing to do with. Where in my post did I bash the guy. Hey I acknowledged it was funny but then I told the op one of the reasons I know, you just can not hook it up. Now you come in here and have nothing to do with this post and call me a a**hole. We'll I will let your imagination figure out what my response to you is. And I do not know all and would have been more then happy to try to help you with you're problem if A- I Had saw the post B- Read the post C-knew the answer to you're problem. There is one important thing I have learned on this site and that is, not to take things to seriously. There is a lot of kidding, and there is a whole bunch of very knowledgeable people on here. Rant all you want. I am done.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 04-20-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikerp76
cool and i think i have the perfect way to install one as well. since ihave a convertible a/c is aout worthless here in tx. so i could in thoery remove the a/c compressor and moun a aupercharger in it's pot and run it off of the a/c belt.
If you could get it done and make it fit without cutting a hole in the hood, I would say go for it. It would certainly be a more unique setup, and definitely couldn't hurt in the power department. Definitely do some reading on the tuning aspect, as that will be the most difficult and time consuming part.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

There is a guy on the turboford forums that had made an Eaton M90 off of a supercoupe work on his 2.3 powered pinto. He claims he was getting 15lbs of boost, but it also sounded like a tricky combo to tune. He had gotten a long ways with it, and gave up when he decided the cam he was running wasn't a good grind for such an application.

He was willing to sell the set up. I had talked to him about it a little while ago. I need to get back in touch with him. I like the fact that no one really runs superchargers on these engines, so you definitely have the unique factor going for you. But on the other hand, it takes more power to spin a supercharger than a turbocharger. You will make power easier with the turbo, but the supercharger would be a cool setup. You just have to decide if you want best power for your buck, or a head turning set up.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:46 AM
evintho
2nd Gear Member

Well.........it can and has been done. Hot Rod Magazine did an article on it last month. They mounted twin Craftsman leaf blowers to a 350 in an '85 Corvette, then dyno'd it. IIRC it picked up 50 hp at one point. Hilarious!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

is it possible to mount a supercharger from another car and make it work?
Yes. I've done it a few times with centrifugals & roots types. The latest project is mounting two m-62's from a GM on a H/C/I 5.0 (still quite a ways from being done though)
If you're going to try to use a factory bracket you'll have to consider the power required. With any that I build I try to get at least a 120 degree wrap (Ideally as close to 180 as possible). Those smaller superchargers usually take around 20-35hp to turn at higher rpm vs the a/c's 3-6hp

Tuning with a s/c is no different than with a turbo, unless you're getting into maximizing timing while off boost & running a low amount while in, it's all fairly simple. (tuning the timing can be simple if you have a means of doing so)

I personally would stay away from the m90 for a 2.3. The m90's would have been adequately sized to feed a stock or near stock 5.0. Bigger is not always better here (with any s/c), you get more leak around the rotors, higher parasitic loss, & boost will come on at a slightly higher rpm. I wouldn't go with anything higher than an m62 for a 2.3. There are many options for varying p/r's with a centri. (btw the roots start to produce a lot of heat above 12psi, something to keep in mind before trying to build a kit)
Also, roots are more fuel economy friendly when used with a bypass. The roots supercharger doesn't compress air internally like the centri & twin screw which means when the valve is open (i.e. cruising) the supercharger will act more like an idle pulley.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 PM
MK7JUNKIE

Stupid question but how will the supercharger work with a carbureted 2.3? I have spare blocks and engines to toy around with.

Quick Reply: Homemade Supercharger?