4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

1991 Lx 2.3L WONT START

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 PM
pgram

Angry 1991 Lx 2.3L WONT START

Hey guys, First time poster here, and mustang newbie

I have a 1991 LX 2.3L My xwife and I got this car when we got together,about ten years ago. When we got divorced last year, she decided to move out of state. The car was not running, And my wife had let it sit for a year, so I asked if I could have it and she agreed. I got it running with a new battery and some fresh gas. We drove it to my house. I had a running focus, so I parked the stang in the back for a future project. It sat for another year. Then this summer my focus dropped a valve and ruined one of the pistons, So I decided to see if the stang would start. I had to charge the battery and have it tested, but it did start. It ran like crap and would try to stall, and I had to feather the gas pedal to keep it running until it warmed up. Then I drove it up to the driveway, and put it up on ramps and horses.

I decided to go over the car from end to end, and repair anything that would make it not safe and roadworthy. since I had the summer off, I thought, what the heck.

The first thing I did was drop the tank to get rid of all the old gas, I replaced the fuel pump, strainer, fuel level sender, fuel filter and all the grommets. I should have not done anything else until I knew I could get it running right, but I was impatient, and since I had to wait for parts, I kept going . Here is the list, New shocks and struts, rear brake linings and drums, front rotors and pad and new bearings. sway bar mounts and end link bushings. I replaced the headlights. new power steering pump, Also I took out the radiator, because I noticed it was not sitting straight, and I discovered that someone had jacked up the car from the rad support. I straightened the rad support and painted the radiator, put it back with new cap, hoses and 50/50 antifreeze. I also bought AC compressor, accum with hose assy, and the lower hose with orifice tube. I am going to pay someone to install the new AC parts and charge it up, so I removed the old stuff and mounted the compressor. While I was doing all of this I noticed that every time I stuck my head inside the car, I could not bear the smell. my wife was a heavy smoker with 2 dogs and 3 kids. I have put new carpet and door panels, new window motor, window switch, had the headliner and visors recovered. I shampooed the seats and put new seat covers and new stereo.

Well anyway you get the idea. The gas tank has been back in for some time but the car wont start. It turns over fine but wont run and I would suspect the fuel system since it was just out but even when I spray starting fluid in the throttle body, it start wont catch, for even a second. I cannot understand why the car would not be sparking, because it ran before, and I did not touch any ignition parts yet.

I realize at this point it could be anything, so please give me all your ideas. I am still putting the interior back together. Is there anything I could have could have disconnected that would affect the
vehicle from sparking.? I have checked all the fuses. also I can smell gas when I am trying to start it. How do I check to make sure the fuel is getting to the rail? It has a vacuum regulator. I need to drive this car soon!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

I don't think you have a fuel problem. But just to make sure listen out for the fuel pump to run when you switch the key to "on" but don't try to start to it. I think you need a special test light to check for injector pulse, but you could try it with a normal one.

Providing both of those check out you ought to check for spark. I'd take one of the plug wires off and get a srewdriver and stick it in the end and while holding it by the handle hold it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off a metal surface like the valve cover. Then get someone to crank the motor and watch for a lil blue arch from the shaft of the screwdriver.

Thats just what i would do though
Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 PM
mikerp76
1st Gear Member

it could be a bad crank sensor, coil packs, ignition control module, fuel fouled plugs.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM
pgram

Unhappy 1991 Lx 2.3L WONT START

Thanks guys,
yes the pump does hum for 3 seconds when I turn the key on. The timing belt, crank sensor and plugs and wires were changed a few years back. But I will pull the timing cover and check it. I forgot to mention that while I was doing all these repairs I decided to pressure wash and paint whatever parts that I could when they were off. I also pressure washed the engine compartment whenever I saw dirt, grease and grime. The leaky power steering pump had slung oil everything near it. I am currently thinking that I created my own problem with the pressure washing and maybe dislodged a connector.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

You very well could have. I still say you need to confirm that it is an ignition problem. make sure you getting spark. If you can't make it start with starting fluid then it prolly is an ignition problem.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM
pgram

Default 1991 Lx 2.3L WONT START

Yes I agree with you. I first have to finish putting the interior back together so that my dad will have a seat to sit on while he is cranking and I am checking for spark. It will have to wait till I have time to mess with it. I started back at college this week. Thanks for all the ideas, guys.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

no problem. we need more people on the 4-cylinder side of the forum haha
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Stang2.3
4th Gear Member

a quick way to check if its spark or fuel related, use starting spray and spray in the inlet tube. not alot, your not tryin to start it just tryin to get it to sputter. if nothing changes, its Spark Related, if it sputters its most likly fuel related. thats how i start my diags lol.

Miss my 2.3 liter

Edit: just noticed this was already advised lol. oops! i need to read more thoroughly!

Last edited by Stang2.3; 09-13-2011 at 04:50 PM.