4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

93 LX Temp fluctuations

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM
TC10284

Default 93 LX Temp fluctuations

I have a 93 LX 2.3L hatchback. It currently has 196k miles on it. I let my GF borrow it for about a year. I recently got it back. Now I am noticing that the temperature gauge is fluctuating pretty wildly. Before, it would hardly ever go above the second mark above 130*F. Usually it would stay in between the two marks above 130*F (sorry, I don't know the increments).

These days, it is anywhere from two marks above 130*F to two marks below the red zone. I can drive the car and watch the temp hand go up and down. When I'm driving down the road, the temp hand goes up. When I let off the gas, it goes down slightly. Other times, I can idle and it goes up. It is hard to predict.

I recall a few weeks ago, I got stuck in traffic due to a wreck. The car was idling for at least an hour and I had driven it probably <10mi before encountering traffic. The temp gauge would slowly go up until it hit a little above mid-way and the fan would turn on. The fan cut off after a minute, temp slowly going back down, then temp goes back up, three minutes would pass, fan would come back on.

I told my dad about this. He replaced the thermostat and both temp sending units. My dad thinks it is fine, but it has never done this before, and I have much experience driving that car. The temp has always been pretty low, except on the hotter days of summer. I don't see how the car will NOT overheat this summer.

I do know that I accidentally put a lot of antifreeze in the radiator and basically didn't put any water in after (I didn't know any better at the time). It wasn't a full tank of antifreeze - maybe half a gallon. I'm told that's fine because there is some antifreeze/water mixture in the block.

Could it need more water and less antifreeze? Or does it need a new water pump?
I'm mostly concerned about it overheating in the summer. Note: I am in NC with a mostly mild winter so far.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:08 PM
go-part
Former Sponsor

Engines are designed for antifreeze to be mixed with water at the temperatures normal for your climate. The reason is that ethylene glycol doesn't freeze, but it also doesn't carry heat away from your engine as well as water does. In extremely cold climates the dilution factor is less--two or three to one, perhaps, instead of one to one--but if you don't dilute it your engine is likely to overheat.
I would suggest doing a coolant flush and then seeing if the temps drop or stay where they are now.

Down the line you may have to factor in a new water pump.. but there are other things you can test first