4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Mustang newbee and confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 AM
dirtrat73

Default Mustang newbee and confused

I have a 93 lx 2.3 l. To start the cooling fan does not turn on. It's currently toggled to the battery. The car starts fine, and for the most part runs fine. Here is my issue. Once the car is started and left to idle, the temp gauge will rise as it should. Once the temp reaches a point that the fan should turn on, it never does. If you leave it to idle the temp gauge will top out. Now during this time the check engine light will not turn on. If you start the car, wait for proper running temp(live in Michigan aprox 2 min.) and place in gear(automatic) the car will run fine for a good 5 min before the check engine light comes on. The temp gauge will not go past the 130 mark, once it gets close it falls back to cold start level. If I take it out of gear and let it sit the light stays on and the gauge will function correctly. As I'm driving my tach, according to my ear, is way off. Doing 55 mph in overdrive, I should not be @ 3000 as my gauge states. And to top it off the air bag light has a mind of it's own.
so far this has me invested too much to abandon:
New Transmission: still didn't shift right, replaced detent cable as well. Now acts properly, but am afraid the fluid isn't getting properly cooled.
New Thermostat, and all sensors related to the fluid temp.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM
dirtrat73

My other option is I have a 96 lincoln with a bad trans, but a 302 motor, can I swap it out with the 2.3 l without much trouble. would like to do it in a day so the wife doesn't realize what I'm doing.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:46 AM
F1aReD
3rd Gear Member

lol, you're wife will definitely realize what you're doing...I can't really comment on your cooling fan because I'm not a mechanic...but I do have a lot of knowledge about these 4cyl mustangs and fox body's in general....

I know you can swap in a 302 motor (just search the forums and google, there is ALOT of info on this) I'm not sure about a 96 lincoln motor...if it was a 302 from the same generation mustang I would say you could drop it right in. I do know you can't reuse the tranny or the rear end, as they're designed for a 4cyl and will eventually blow up if you keep them. Also the suspension, electrical, and I'm sure many other parts are designed for a 4cyl motor, so that's something that would take alot of time too.

To answer your question, can it be done in a day? Maybe if you had all the parts ready to go and you know exactly what you're doing...but most likely not.