4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

89 2.3L Engine Problems, Needs Advice!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:56 PM
lvgeorge

Default 89 2.3L Engine Problems, Needs Advice!

Is there a Mustang Mechanic in the House?
I am having several issues with my 89 Fox Body, 2.3L Mustang and I cant drive it as it wont easily start, wont start when hot and hesitates upon acceleration.

Does anyone have any Mechanical Advice that can Help me keep my 89 Mustang on the road?

She,,, 89 2.3L will not start easily, without cranking for long periods. I use Engine starting fluid to get the engine a jump start sucking fuel. (are the fuel Injectors dirty, are the fuel Lines not holding Pressure as fuel lines have special connectors on the ends and are old, stock)

And, after this 2.3L engine starts and is warmed up, and is then shut off, the car will not start again, until the engine cools down, ie. after 30-40 minutes. Then, it is again hard starting.

Is there Some kind of Temperature Sensor that I need to replace for it to run properly again? The Electric Fan works fine, but I am in Vegas (temps 100f + daily)

Push down on accelerator car hesitates, have to pump the accelerator to keep vehicle at idle when cold.

I replaced the Ignition TFI (on the side of the distributor) ie the Ignition Control/Spark control Module. Also replaced the ignition coil, spark plugs and Ignition Key Tumbler switch (on steering column).

What is wrong with this Car? Any Help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like a fuel problem, have you disconnected the fuel line at the intake to see if it's getting fuel that far? Could be as simple as replacing the fuel filter and running good injector cleaner in the gas tank.
Have you looked inside the throttle body and the intake to look for carbon or crud build up? You can get several types of cleaners from your local autoparts store that might help.
Does it smoke or burn oil? Have you looked at the plugs recently? If you take pictures of them and post them here we can tell you a lot about your engine. Btw, I'd recommend checking all of the vacuum lines for cracks.