4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

A4LD no shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Red-Five

Default A4LD no shift problem

Okay so I’m new but I need some help. My trnasmission won’t cycle through any gears. I can move the shifter into each individual gear but the transmission doesn’t actually activate any of the gears.
Short story: I had the transmission rebuilt because it wasn’t working and I put it back in and still the same issue. While I was refilling it I put in the first five quarts without the engine running then turned the engine on and put it into neutral to put the last five quarts in but halfway through the sixth quart it started overflowing out of the dipstick tube. Tried to cycle through all the gears but no response. Not sure if it’s actually a transmission issue since I just had it rebuilt but I’m not sure what else it could be. If anyone wants the long story I can post it but I figured I’d start short instead of boring everyone. Haha. I’d appreciate any tips because I’m lost as to what the problem could be.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:24 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

When fluid comes out the dip stick, for THIS transmission:

1. Rad Cooler Is Clogged, or To Cooler Line clogged or collapsed.
2. Filter is clogged.
3. Breather Tube Clogged or pinched closed.
4. Front Seal Blown.

Any one of those can prevent flow of fluid so there is no pressure to engage the
clutches or bands. The fluid can then build up in the pan, and come out the
dip-stick tube.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Agacerie

I feel your pain with the A4LD, I lost one in the mid 90s. The harsh reality is that there's a 50% chance that a rebuild is going to fail when it isn't performed as a remanufacturing/blueprinting process. Unless you know the full history, there's a good chance it's been gone through before. When I rebuilt mine and had to open it back up.... i found a blockage even though I thought I had it clean enough to eat off of. Fortunately it was while I was in college and I had a couple engineering courses with a Ford tech who lead to it.