5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 04:56 AM
kenscivic

Default exhaust question

the 93 mustang gt i am about to buy already has an h-pipe and a 2 chamber flowmaster w/ dumps ..

I have no idea what any of this means.. i drove a civic before this lol!!

is an h pipe like a midpipe for a 4 banger? if thats the case, does the h-pipe eliminate the catalytic converter?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:21 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust question

ORIGINAL: kenscivic

the 93 mustang gt i am about to buy already has an h-pipe and a 2 chamber flowmaster w/ dumps ..

I have no idea what any of this means.. i drove a civic before this lol!!

is an h pipe like a midpipe for a 4 banger? if thats the case, does the h-pipe eliminate the catalytic converter?
well your mustang comes from the factory with a H pipe on it all ready. if its stock it will have 4 cats on it. if its a aftermarket it will have 2 cats on it or if its an offroad H pipe then it wont have any cats on it at all. and your mufflers are just the 40 series flows. whether its the original 40 series or delta flow 40 series i dont know and the dumps/turndowns are just little piece of pipe that come out the muffler and turn down before the rear axle.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:39 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

^^^^ What he said. Your H pipe is the mid pipe--between your headers and your mufflers.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:18 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

With your mid pipe, you have 2 options.... H PIPE or an X PIPE. Like HAUS said, it could have no cats if its O/R or it might have 2 high flow cats. Have you heard it before?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:58 PM
kenscivic

ORIGINAL: HAUS
well your mustang comes from the factory with a H pipe on it all ready. if its stock it will have 4 cats on it. if its a aftermarket it will have 2 cats on it or if its an offroad H pipe then it wont have any cats on it at all. and your mufflers are just the 40 series flows. whether its the original 40 series or delta flow 40 series i dont know and the dumps/turndowns are just little piece of pipe that come out the muffler and turn down before the rear axle.

oh alright.... that clears it up soo much man thanks i appreciate it... my next question... i want to go w/o cats.. so my plan was to get long tube headers , off road x-pipe

and then i just ran into another question, even with an x pipe do you need a catback exhaust or just mufflers?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:59 PM
kenscivic

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

With your mid pipe, you have 2 options.... H PIPE or an X PIPE. Like HAUS said, it could have no cats if its O/R or it might have 2 high flow cats. Have you heard it before?

no , im going to pick it up wednesday..i was about to pick up a 93 z28 .. but then i found this beauty , motor just rebuilt so i was like SCORE.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

So you had a Civic and than you were going to buy a Camaro ??? Thank God you jumped on the right boat

It will still sound good even if it has cats on it but if you end up having cats and you want to change it they are not that expensive.

Do you know what kind of H pipe is on there now??
Old 02-28-2006, 01:10 PM
kenscivic

So you had a Civic and than you were going to buy a Camaro ??? Thank God you jumped on the right boat

It will still sound good even if it has cats on it but if you end up having cats and you want to change it they are not that expensive.

Do you know what kind of H pipe is on there now??

no , i am going to call the guy tonight and ask him .. but about the civic to muscle thing , yah..

i had a 2003 civic si, it was fun to drive but it broke ALL THE TIME.. suspension popped , interior pieces faded within two months of me owning it, transmission was **** , i was back in the dealership the next day after i bought it.

so i will never own another honda
Old 02-28-2006, 01:11 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ Now thats what we want to hear Well, congradulations on turning to muscle cars. Good luck and keep us updated on the car.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:13 PM
kenscivic

^^ Now thats what we want to hear Well, congradulations on turning to muscle cars. Good luck and keep us updated on the car.

oh i will, and i will be asking TONS of questions!!! thanks for the help

Quick Reply: exhaust question