5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

79 stang choke issue/question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 12:40 AM
inness321

Default 79 stang choke issue/question

allrighty. iv been trying to figure this one out for a little bit., when I first got the car the choke was staying open all the way never closed or anything. I delt with it wasent major to me finally got the money bought a new one and replaced it. worked good for the first day to me after that. then next morning came. was a pain to start. again like it was as if choke was still wide open again.

every morning (we are in the middle of winter at that in neg -10 below nights and cold mornings.) the choke sets itself wide before the car is started and never closes all the way or moves. after car is shut off after it warms up choke starts working great again, almost. closes down to where it should while car is colling down and such and such. open when car is started and warming up.

after car has been warmed up but off for a while if I push the gas once then choke closes all the way. dosent let any air threw seems like and car dose not start unless gas is held all the way down again forcing choke to open.

My Question.... finally

in the mornings shouldnt the choke be closed down at first (not all the way of corse though) to start the car. and open when the car starts to warm up.... and anyone know what adjustments I would have to take to get it to start working properly.

and also when car has been started once in the day but sitting for a bit. if I press the gas once why dose choke close all the way and how able to keep it open enuff possibly for car to start easier. starting car has been kind of a pain a bit for some of these reasons but iv been getting use to it. would just be nice if it worked corectly kind of ya know lol

thx to all for reading this has been getting me very confused.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: 79 stang choke issue/question

First off, what kinda carb? Is the choke electric or heated by a choke stove off the manifold. Your assumption in it's workings are correct however there must me something misadjusted.

When cold, the butterfly should snap shut, all the way. As the car starts, the choke pull-off opens the butterfly just enough to let in some air to lean out the mixture. But it has to have the correct tension. As the car warms, the choke thermostat begins to open the butterfly until it's wide open.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:54 PM
inness321

yes when I got the car was electric from the alt looked like. tested it and it had power comming threw the wire and everything but choke was just stuck at wide open at all times. so I bought a new replacment choke therm.. going off of the top manifold and works half the time for now. debating if before I start the car one morning when it sets itself to wide open if I should atempt playing with the tention on the spring or if the adjustment needs to be made somewhere else....

as for the make of the carb (on vacation right now and dont have car with me but..) if I remember right its a motercraft if I remember correctly. 2 barrel stock carb
Old 03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

you should just upgrade to a 4bbl intake with no egr emmisions and a nice holley 600 or 650 double pump
Old 03-03-2006, 03:36 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: inness321

yes when I got the car was electric from the alt looked like. tested it and it had power comming threw the wire and everything but choke was just stuck at wide open at all times. so I bought a new replacment choke therm.. going off of the top manifold and works half the time for now. debating if before I start the car one morning when it sets itself to wide open if I should atempt playing with the tention on the spring or if the adjustment needs to be made somewhere else....

as for the make of the carb (on vacation right now and dont have car with me but..) if I remember right its a motercraft if I remember correctly. 2 barrel stock carb
That's the time the choke should be adjusted. When the car is completely cold.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:35 PM
inness321

hehe yea thats deffedently on my list is upgrading to a 4brl carb or twin carbs. im trying to find a supercharger that can fit on my car. everyone says paxton cant find one designed for 79 inless I can squeeze the one for a 85 onto it. im guessing it only fits onto that istead of the 79 is because of it being a 4barl carb and having better cams. that would lead up to another qustion..

85 carb mustang being H.O. am I able to still get cams from the H.O. carb engine of the 302 and place it inside a non H.O. 302 in my 79. trying to get from a stock 140hp or so up to the stock 210hp of the 85. if able to get used parts might be a little cheaper and if anybody might have a 4brl carb and manafold from a 85 or so that I might be able to rotate and squeeze onto mine.

as for cams if not able to put 85cams into the non H.O. 79 engine I might just go for the perforamce cams anyways. wasnt sure if there was a difference or not. been looks hard for these parts

(automatic transmission aod is what I got looking to see if there is better I can replace it with)
(4brl carb) or twin carb which ever fits better with supercharger most likly 1 4brl
(paxton supercharger)
(85 or 79 perforance cams which ever fits maby both) *85 perfomance cams*

and debating how the underdrive pullies work for starters if anyone has a few around hehe.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:25 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

'79 block uses regular design flat tappet hydraulic camshaft. Look for something from Competition Cams for it.
Any of the four barrel intakes will fit, don't go too radical here either, Eddy torker2 would work good.
600CFM Holley is what the last of the '85 carb cars were so I'd stay with that. Do not go with the mechanical secondary if you are daily driving the car......