5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI SWAP TO CARBURATOR, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:50 PM
91MustangGt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: EFI SWAP TO CARBURATOR, good or bad?

Hey thanks alot everyone,

Thanks Joel, thats kind of what I'm looking for. I like to compare scientific facts with peoples experiences on stuff like this, because the facts are "true" and the peoples experiences make it easier to want to lose and gain stuff in the process..

I was hoping it wouldn't cost too much to do the swap. But yeah its true alot has to be changed and I have spend some money on the efi setup I have already. Its just that I have no space to work in and won't for a long while so I have to be paying people to do things for me that I could do myself. I see that as a waste of money too...

Well, I'm gonna read those links that Joel gave us and see what I deside to go with...

I have alot of other upgrades to make too.... My timing chain cover is leaking, need a new timing chain also, new motor mounts too cause my engine is shaking and thats gonna be like $560 all on its own...then I've got to do little stuff like, taking off the blower pulley, I might need a new water pump too....man! lol

Ok, thanks alot everyone

Ben
Old 03-05-2006, 10:28 PM
89FORD50

I am an old school carb guy building my first efi engine. if you want a race car and raw highend power go with the carb. If you want an all around street/strip car stick with the efi.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Bullitthead
1st Gear Member

Carburetors are much more of a hassle than EFI. It's true that if you were building a car strictly to run the 1320' at the track carburetors are fine. But they can be very difficult to start in cold weather, they get worse gas mileage and produce less midrange torque, the jets have to be physically changed when temperatures change (EFI automatically adjusts fuel flow for air density), they bog out and will sometimes outright die on a slalom course, vapor lock can be a problem in hot weather, they have to be tuned just right or you get crappy throttle response, etc. etc. etc...

I haven't driven a carbureted car since my '85 GT was wrecked back in 1986, nor have I ever had a desire to drive a carbureted car since then. It would be like going back to Black & White T.V.'s or points and a condenser. If your car had come with a carburetor, I would have said to keep it and embrace it, if for no other reason than its vintage appeal. But in your case going to a carburetor would be a huge waste of money and time simply to make your engine bay more attractive.

Repeat after me: Electronics are your Friend...
Old 03-06-2006, 01:08 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

you do it..to make the car look cleaner? hell, ive seen much nicer looking FI motors than Carbed..carb has a big air filter..whoopty doo. youd go through the work and money just for that? lol. just clean up your wiring with loom and polish stuff.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 AM
1967gt

another bit of 2cents......you can buy two carbs- set one up for racing and the other for street use. they are easy as hell to switch out- and it costs a lot less. you can tune a carb to idle smooth and get good mileage- but those settings won't do well on the track. if you don't mind a half hour of work before heading off to the track, i would say buy two carbs and forget about the hassle of fuel injection. wires, vaccum lines, computers, injectors and rails, intake and throttle body, sensors = extra weight and more work. as far as reliable- i've never seen a carbureted engine do anywhere near as well in the 24 hour lemans as the fuel injected engines do. there are a lot of pros and cons. i am switching an 87 gt HO over to a carbed 347 pretty soon. more motor for the money i guess. good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:28 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I am going to be building a motor soon and I will also be carbing it. Basically, Im doing it more becuase of the money that I am going to save.