5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tranny broke again

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:50 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Tranny broke again

Its so expensive...I only make 150 a week, and im only 18...Its hard to save money and then have the trans go out 4 times...I cant afford it....For your situation...have you considered getting a c-4 then have it pro built, to handle the power... but then again thats what I did...and look what happened, Its hard finding a reputable shop that does a DECENT job, they all say"we've been in the business for 40+years" or "we get the job done right"....but you have a lot into the c4's Id say its time to just go powerglide...Hope you get the situation resolved right...Good luck, and keep it safe.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:54 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

yea probally the next chance I get to save, it will be saving towards a TKO 500 or 600...IDK
Old 03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90Mustangfan

Its so expensive...I only make 150 a week, and im only 18...Its hard to save money and then have the trans go out 4 times...I cant afford it....For your situation...have you considered getting a c-4 then have it pro built, to handle the power... but then again thats what I did...and look what happened, Its hard finding a reputable shop that does a DECENT job, they all say"we've been in the business for 40+years" or "we get the job done right"....but you have a lot into the c4's Id say its time to just go powerglide...Hope you get the situation resolved right...Good luck, and keep it safe.
Thats what I did, I put in hardened shafts and even 6 gear planetary. I will be really pissed if the 6 gear planetary is what broke. I already talked to my tranny guy this morning, he said get it out and bring it in we will figure it out. Well it maybe a couple of weeks before I get it out, I have to wait for my son to come home from college to help, and right now he wants to get the 306 for the 88 put together.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:47 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^^ Are you going to have the same guys rebuild it again?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:21 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

^^^ Are you going to have the same guys rebuild it again?
Thats according to what is broke, If one of the new pieces like the 6 gear planetary is broke, that is not his fault, that would be a defective piece. I bought the pieces, he just put it together.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:24 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

if i was you..on the "ifs part"...his fault have him fix it,and sell it for the powerglide..
Old 03-06-2006, 09:41 PM
I8urLS1
1st Gear Member

this may sound like a stupid ? but are you guys talking about the 2 spd chevy trans?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I know that the 6 gear planeterys are pretty good but I have seen a couple fail but they have both been in the same car a big block 69 stang that is very heavy. when you get the C-4 right you wont have alot of problems with them. They do handle big HP I run the one in the wifes car without any problems and get 2 years of racing and street driving out of them before the rebuild for the most was getting 3 years but found that is a bit to long and stuff was getting hurt. But at the same time you are running a bit faster then us right now so we will see how it holds up this year. Good luck let me know what broke as it may help me some time.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:43 AM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I8urLS1

this may sound like a stupid ? but are you guys talking about the 2 spd chevy trans?
yes
Old 03-07-2006, 01:44 AM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uedlose

I know that the 6 gear planeterys are pretty good but I have seen a couple fail but they have both been in the same car a big block 69 stang that is very heavy. when you get the C-4 right you wont have alot of problems with them. They do handle big HP I run the one in the wifes car without any problems and get 2 years of racing and street driving out of them before the rebuild for the most was getting 3 years but found that is a bit to long and stuff was getting hurt. But at the same time you are running a bit faster then us right now so we will see how it holds up this year. Good luck let me know what broke as it may help me some time.
The tranny was having no problem with 450 RWHP it was when we put the 347 with 584 RWHP that the problems began.

Quick Reply: Tranny broke again