5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new spec clutch just in.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: new spec clutch just in.

Bull crap, if a clutch chatters when you put it in, it will always chatter, i had a spec clutch and i do not care what anyone else says they are the worst clutch out there, now i have a frpp heavy duty and it is smooth, it never chattered not one time, and it still has not, with 2k on it, i say don't buy a spec.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:41 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

Bull crap, if a clutch chatters when you put it in, it will always chatter, i had a spec clutch and i do not care what anyone else says they are the worst clutch out there, now i have a frpp heavy duty and it is smooth, it never chattered not one time, and it still has not, with 2k on it, i say don't buy a spec.
so if im thinkin of a spec stage 2 or Zoom HP, go w/ the Zoom?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

dunno i never had a Zoom, my dad did but that was like 20+ years ago and he did not like it he said it was stiff. but don't judge them by that because like i said thats 20+years. i like the ford clutch's and centerforce. somemore people will comment so wate and see what they say about a zoom.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:27 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

Spec stage 1 thru 3 are street clutches. A king Cobra clutch is just as good as a Spec III. The Spec clutch will chatter till abou 500 miles. It will start to go away some time after that. Not always at 500 miles. Don't be hard on it till then. Spec, ram, zoom all have some issue that one person won't like and the other doesn't care. When you get to a certain power level you just have to suck it up and deal with it. If you get a paddle style clutch it will be hell in traffic but, if your car is heavy and puts alot ot the ground you have no choice unless you never go to the track. Driving through the clutch at the track is no fun.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Bull i don't understand what some people on here think. a centerforce dual friction clutch is one of the best and they don't chatter at all, and they are rated for a lot of hp, if the clutch chatters that means its a junk clutch or the flywheel needs surfaced. if you have a flywheel surfaced so its smooth and you put a new clutch in and it chatters. pull that pice of junk out and get a another brand clutch.

ORIGINAL: S351R13

Spec stage 1 thru 3 are street clutches. A king Cobra clutch is just as good as a Spec III. The Spec clutch will chatter till abou 500 miles. It will start to go away some time after that. Not always at 500 miles. Don't be hard on it till then. Spec, ram, zoom all have some issue that one person won't like and the other doesn't care. When you get to a certain power level you just have to suck it up and deal with it. If you get a paddle style clutch it will be hell in traffic but, if your car is heavy and puts alot ot the ground you have no choice unless you never go to the track. Driving through the clutch at the track is no fun.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:15 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

Bull i don't understand what some people on here think. a centerforce dual friction clutch is one of the best and they don't chatter at all, and they are rated for a lot of hp, if the clutch chatters that means its a junk clutch or the flywheel needs surfaced. if you have a flywheel surfaced so its smooth and you put a new clutch in and it chatters. pull that pice of junk out and get a another brand clutch.

Tim, there are some clutch designs that will chatter, as a result of the type of clutch. Most often these are 3 or 6 "puck" style clutchs, ususally there are for higher (more than 375) torque cars. It does not mean they are junk, just made for a specific application and are not made to slip on take off like a street clutch. FWIW I know of a ton SPEC owners whose chatter got better after a few hundred miles.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:02 PM
94Cobrakid16
3rd Gear Member

lol tims a tard...
Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

lol. When I got my King Cobra in it chattered like a bitch so I took it back and told them WTF? Its not supposed to do this so they took it apart and cleaned it like the paper said to and it went away after a while. It still did it for a little bit but now its awesome. Although I think it will be time for a new one cause its starting to slip on me after a while of driving.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Yea a clutch that chatters is for race only, for really high hp cars. like 800+hp cars, not in the 300-600hp range. why would you but a clutch that chatters if you drive the car a lot? i had over 2k+ on my spec clutch and it never got better. it kept getting worse and no it was not my driving, i dont slip the clutch. JD when you say Puck what do you mean? the friction pads on the disc? Sry i still do not think the chatter will get better after you drive it awhile, i guess if you slip it a lot it will. i dunno i never heard something so stupid so someone tell me how the chatter is supposed to get better.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:41 AM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like Tim didn't install his Spec clutch correctly or something.
Maybe his was a dud. That can happen with any part made by any company.
I know people who drive Mercedes that give them nothing but problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new spec clutch just in.