5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Loud Tick.....Lifter?

Old 02-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

Default Loud Tick.....Lifter?

[&o] Guys the tick in my car came back and it is pretty loud , Im guessing its a lifter, maybe a rod. My concern is how long can I go like this before it gets too serious?? Cuz unfortunately right now I don't have the means of $$ to get it fixed.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:20 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Loud Tick.....Lifter?

you need to find out...you know for sure it's not a header leak or lifter breaking down or a rocker arm loose or broken..does it miss?
Old 02-21-2004, 04:52 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Is this a roller lifter or a hydraulic lifter setup in your car?If its hydraulic you could have a dead lifter which means it isnt fully pumping up.If its a roller it could be a bent valve or a valve kissing a piston.It also could be loose lifters.

What exactly have you tried so far and what type of lifters are they?
Old 02-21-2004, 04:53 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

And yes this is a serious problem you need to adress as soon as possible.Things can get worse if you let this problem go unattended.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:59 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

there's always the chance it's metal heating/cooling in the case of coolant problems. When it's doing that it will have a clicking sound that sounds a lot like some other problem. Don't know any more about your problem, but if it does it after you shut it off then that's probably it, if not it's def someting more serious and you should get it looked at.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:35 AM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem and it came out to be that my headers were lose at the head and down at the collector. I took everything off and put new gaskets and tightened the bolts from center out on the header and the the collector. After acouple of heat cycles recheck the tourqe on the bolts.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:37 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Thats a possibility as well.I had a hell of a problem with my headers sealing up until i went out and got 2 sets of the steel gaskets and some high temp RTV silicone and went to work.Its now been 1 year and i've not heard a sound from them.Check around the headers it may be as bad as mine where you can see the carbon where the gasket gave away.

Mine was so bad that it sounded like a miss.And unless you like changing the gaskets only buy quality gaskets like the fel pro steels or percys or even the mr gasket coppers.The paper gaskets are garbage.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'll need to take it in and have a mechanic look at it, like VFAST said its not a header leak or lifter breaking down.....how can I tell if it misses? The setup is Hyrdaulic as far as I know......So if it isnt pumping fully I need to get that fixed asap, why does it do that though, Faulty Lifter? I havent tried anything cuz she is my daily driver so I have to have time to do it and ive been to busy to get in there. I don't want things to get worse though especially if it is kissing the piston or something. I know its not a heating cooling problem either or the gaskets cuz I just changed my exhaust system headers down and put new everything. Hmmmm, well sounds like I better get in there and fix it quick or have a mechanic do it, but ASAP, I dont want her to be in more pain than she's already in.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:57 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

It being your main source of transportation kind of makes it a PITA i know.You should maybe see about a shop doing it if you are limited on knowledge and time.

Good luck and i hope its something simple and cheap.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I'll have to look around see a good place to take her......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud Tick.....Lifter?