5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

throw out bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default throw out bearing replacement

well, ive finally come to the conclusion that my throw out bearing is in critical condition, and i have decided to change it. but the question is, should i get a new clutch while i am at it? my stock clutch is solid, doesnt slip, and feels real stiff(for a stocker). i dont plan on running more than just my listed mods, then gears, TB, and intake manifold. should my stocker hold out for a while?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:38 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: throw out bearing replacement

Wait til you get it apart and see what it looks like. How many miles on it?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:58 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

If your planning on upgrading more and more. Go ahead and get you a good clutch, King Cobra or Centerforce II are good ones. But if you do get a King Cobra, take the throw out bearing that comes in the kit and throw it in the bushes. Its the biggest POS. Ive already been through that twice. So buy you a regular stock TOB and use that one. That King Cobra TOB wore out in my car after a month of normal driving, started wineing and squalling. I replaced it and never had anymore problems. Same with my buddy, his King Cobra TOB went out and he replaced it and all his problems were solved, no more problem. But definatly replace the clutch to if your planning on building up your car more.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:43 AM
95Stealth302
4th Gear Member

Screw King Cobra. Go with Centerforce or Spec clutch companies. Their TOBs are nice.

And yah, you should replace your clutch while your at it. And flywheel, and get an aluminum driveshaft, and put some gears in. Then change your tranny fluid and add some royal purple. That'll save you a bunch of trips under there!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:45 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

So, other than the whiney noise, how else can you tell if u need to replace the throwout bearing?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:58 AM
95Stealth302
4th Gear Member

sometimes it doesn't even make a whiny noise, but the way I have been able to tell in the past was that when you shift in to second early, or get into low revs in second or third, you'll hear this metal rubbing noise, almost like a quiet grinding. From a stop, get rolling and shift second and slow down to a little below 1000 rpms and then press the accelerator slightly, if it's bad, you'll hear it.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:23 AM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95Stealth302

sometimes it doesn't even make a whiny noise, but the way I have been able to tell in the past was that when you shift in to second early, or get into low revs in second or third, you'll hear this metal rubbing noise, almost like a quiet grinding. From a stop, get rolling and shift second and slow down to a little below 1000 rpms and then press the accelerator slightly, if it's bad, you'll hear it.

exactly. it makes a grinding noise while in second. and at idle, it chips like crazy. i can feel the trans. shaking if i decell. while in gear. (like using the engine to break) i think the shaking is the throwout bearing moving back and forth.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Ive went through two centerforces and i have only 300rwp. So those clutches are on my **** list. And i never launched the car either. Both of the clutches went out with like 5,000 miles on them and it was like something just peeled the friction pads off the clutch disk. Ive had no probs with the king cobra, doesn't slip, never makes any noise. Pedel isn't impossibly heavy, nada, grips like hell. And it doesnt cost an arm and a leg. I never felt the differnce between the centerforces and King Cobra's. THat just me though.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:42 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ckyguy68

ORIGINAL: 95Stealth302

exactly. it makes a grinding noise while in second. and at idle, it chips like crazy. i can feel the trans. shaking if i decell. while in gear. (like using the engine to break) i think the shaking is the throwout bearing moving back and forth.
what about a quiet grinding while decelerating with the clutch pressed in? I get that some times in second while braking with the clutch in. if I go to N then it goes away. I thought the throwout bearing was only at play while the clutch is engaged (pedal out)
Old 03-15-2006, 02:11 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

It might do that if your clutch isn't adjusted just right, sometimes if you dont do it right, the cable will keep tension on the fork and slightly press the bearing up against the pressure plate even while in neutral. I know somebody who didn't adjust their new clutch right and it burned the disk up because the clutch was never fully engaged and it slipped all the time, but he didn't know what it was making that smell .

Quick Reply: throw out bearing replacement