5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

cutting rear bumper on GT for LX exhaust

Old 03-17-2006, 03:57 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: cutting rear bumper on GT for LX exhaust

Only problem is..... everybody knows what's under the hood of a GT Mustang anyway so it's not really a sleeper.. the ground effects kit gives away what it is right away.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:12 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Well 5.0's Arent really fast stock, And thats just being honest.

I agree that yea they are intimidating, but are cars have fallen off the ladder and we need mods to get back up.

An LS1 guy would look at a 5.0 in dismay, but as soon as you get on it he'll be sorry. But your going to need plenty of mods to keep up with him, or a healthy shot of nitrous.

I just never liked the look of the tails on GT's. It looks killer on the Lx and Cobra Bodies but not GT.

I was actually thinking about running a side exaust coming from behind the tire through the rear side skirt.
Im thinking about getting some old side skirts from the junk yard and seeing how it would look.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:23 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Nice, I think that exhaust idea would be interesting, I don't know if it would look good because of the cowl in them but i guess only one way to find out eh?

Also, Mustangs aren't known for their speed at all, they aren't fast cars to say the least, never have been, like just look at the specs of them all, 86-95 for example (mainly cause it's the only one i know by heart) 225hp and 300lbs torque. I didn't buy a Mustang to go fast, I bought a Mustang to throw me back in the seat which to me is a better feeling than going a couple mph's faster. I'm even putting a truck intake on it to up the torque even more, I couldn't care less about hp. Most racing is done on a short track anyway where speed doesn't matter, like between street lights, or even a 1/4 mile. You can easily modify a Mustang to put out loads of HP anyway, but hurt your torque, 5.0's have a big bore and short stroke, which is the building blocks for a high-revving HP monster, but the intake, cam and heads they put on it tammed it down to a Torque monster.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:30 AM
Logz5.0
1st Gear Member

hell no, that body kit is what makes it unique, leave it.!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:26 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

when i was younger i always wanted the gt body style but wanted to see the exhaust so i came up with having someone fabricate two exhaust holes in the skirt for the tips to stick out of. always thought it would be an awesome idea and still do. if i had 87-93 gt i deff would have gotten that done.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:37 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Its a personal opinion. If you like the way that it looks than go for it. BUT if you ask me I would say absolutly NOT. Unless its not a total hack job than it wont look that bad but I still think it will look better without the exhaust comming through the bumper. Just my .02
Old 03-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

OK OK the best body set up this is how it goes, Start with a 87-93 GT mustang, than get a Cobra rear bumper cover, get a cobra wing, get a cobra front bumper cover or grill insert, then get a storman norman ram air hood. thats it, then you still have the vents on the side of the car, and everything. they look so bad *** like that. so you get to see the tail pipes, but the cobra rear bumper cover is longer than the lx so it does not show your gas tank and stuff. its a cool set up but you see it all the time, its way past old. but still nice.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:25 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

+1 I had flowmasters on the car already when I baught it and the exhaust did not hit the bumper (GT BTW). I thinking that maybe he fab'd the hangers to make it sit lower. It also came out of the back about 2 1/2 inches.... BUT the exhaust did put a crack in the bumper from it slamming up against the top of it all the time when going over bumps, etc.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

aww a cracked bumper, get it fixed if you have not. nothing worse than a cracked up body.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Its already off of the car... Im trying to sell it. I am converting the car to LX. I have everything I need except for the front bumper which I ordered yesterday and will be picking up today or tomorrow. CANT WAIT! Its getting a whole new body (basically). New hood, fenders, lx bumper, lx rear bumper, doors, windows, quarter windows, new rad support, new hatch, and possibly a new roof (MAYBE [:@]).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cutting rear bumper on GT for LX exhaust