5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mass air and tweecer questions

Old 03-20-2006, 12:51 AM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mass air and tweecer questions

Well, I am thinking of going the TwEECer-RT route only because I have future plans for this car next winter. I am going later this morning for Dyno pull with wide band just to see where the car is at hp and Air fuel ratio wise...

This is my first Ford, and I have always tuned my Chevy's myself with edit software. Makes it more hands on I think.

I never had my 1995 Z28 tuned by anybody but me (well, with the help of other forum members and edit users) and she ran awesome. I pride myself of doing my own installs and computer tunes.

I learned alot with my Z28, did things I never thought I could do (like change my own ring and pinion).

This is the first time I purchased a car used that was already modded, and I find myself wanting to tear into her just to make sure everything is done right (eventhough a mechanic did the work and I'm not a mechanic).

Just certain things seem weird, like stock injectors and MAF, but 9 psi Powerdyne and 65 mm BBK throttle body etc.

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

tweecer sucks. get a custom chip burnt with a dyno tune and youll have better results.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:53 AM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

I was just on the C&L site and see they have a programmable MAF just for people who use TwEECer and EEC_Tuner etc. Hmmm, maybe that is the route I should take...

http://www.cnlperformance.com/tunerMAF.html

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

i dont know why everyone dislikes c&l maf. i have one and i think its fine. i didnt have any problems tuning it.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

yea i was j/k about the tweecer really. it works great, so ive headr. and youre idea about the maf that works with is seems good too. id go 75mm tb and 80mm maf with 30lb injectors. you need to get plenty of air to it for a s/c. and yea i have alot of posts...lol if i think i might be able to help someone ill take a stab on it even though im not the best around, i do most of my own work. i have also learned alot on here and thats what draws me to this place i guess.

tweecer sucks. get a custom chip burnt with a dyno tune and youll have better results.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:18 AM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

ikeybmg and all...

Thanks for the replies, I'll post back after I get my dyno pull in later this morning. I'll also let you know what the tuners think about the C&L tuner air meter, and the 30 lbs injectors, and of course my horsepower/ torque ratings etc.

I'm not getting the full tune today, just want to check my air/ fuel ratio to know where I stand....everything else seems great, she pulls hard to red line of 5,800 and never misses a beat. This is my first car that wasn't normally aspirated, and the S/C noise sounds awesome (sounds like someone inhaling loudly in the car). I know alot of people on this board don't like powerdyne, but seems to be working great so far.

yea i was j/k about the tweecer really. it works great, so ive headr. and youre idea about the maf that works with is seems good too. id go 75mm tb and 80mm maf with 30lb injectors. you need to get plenty of air to it for a s/c. and yea i have alot of posts...lol if i think i might be able to help someone ill take a stab on it even though im not the best around, i do most of my own work. i have also learned alot on here and thats what draws me to this place i guess.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:19 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I would look at bigger inj's than 24's just in case you want to upgrade later on. Get at least a 75mm MAF for a blown application, maybe bigger. If you aren't sure if you're runnig stock MAF or not, measure the size of the hole inside it--stock is 55mm. W/ your setup, you would benefit greatly from a larger MAF if yours is still stock. Also, go w/ PMAS (used to be pro-m) and buy it calibrated for the injectors you're going to get b/c it's expensive to get it recalibrated.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:12 PM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

Okay, turns out I do have the C&L MAF, which my tuner said to get rid of and get the BA2400 since it tunes easier or something. Anyhow, was kinda disappointed... MAX RWHP 305.2. However, he did the wide band and I am around stoich (14.7) idle, then steady climbs to rich about 11:1 about 4400 rpms, then the fuel pressure went to 70 and I think the injectors maxed out and she starting to lean up very fast. Then runs were cut about 5400 rpms due to the A/F ratio starting to climb rapidly. They pulls were ended with the dyno showing 10 psi boost from my 9 psi powerdyne (I was impressed) and the A/F ratio climbed up to 12:1 fast.

I am scheduling a E303 cam install, 36 lbs Ford Motorsport injectors BA2400, Tweecer RT and custom tune, as soon as they guy can get the stuff in. Also ordered a smaller pulley for the powerdyne, see if I can hit 12-13 psi boost

Hopefully with all the above, I'll be around 350 + RWHP.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31303/11A4C7B18B874324B04F19E6052B35FC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Anyone on here will tell you a cam with stock heads is pointless. If you really want to get a lot out of the engine save up for some heads with all the fuel needed and get her tuned.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:33 PM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

No to beat this thread to death, but I already am running stock ported heads that apparently allow pretty good flow if I can make 10 psi of boost out of a Powerdyne 9 psi system.

The professional tuner who's shop I was at stated I really need to upgrade to different # injectors (he recommended 36 or bigger), even larger MAF than the C&L I am running now, more boost, definitely a Tweecer RT and custom tune to maximize timing etc. I am going with the cam install because he is only charging $500 for labor on it.... that includes changing the injectors and installing new MAF and etc. I've changed heads before, never a cam. If later I find my heads are too restrictive, then I'll pop some on myself, along with a better head gaskets etc. I've decided in the interest of gaining some more horsepower soon, I've decided to go this route. Besides, I've heard good things about the E 303 with stock ported heads.

Before any of you ask, the installer said he can put the new cam in with taking the heads off... news to me too, but we'll see.

I've been told you can run some pretty high horse power through ported E7 heads. Guess we'll see that too since I'll have before and after dyno results.

I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for all your help.

ORIGINAL: Crazyfast50stang

Anyone on here will tell you a cam with stock heads is pointless. If you really want to get a lot out of the engine save up for some heads with all the fuel needed and get her tuned.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:51 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I'll be running 30s in my N/A 347. I'd say get some 42s in there. STAT.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:17 AM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, my tuner said 36'ers or 42 lbs injectors. I'm bidding on some 36'ers. I figure if my 19's almost worked, the 36'ers should be awesome for awhile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mass air and tweecer questions