MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Stabbing the Distributor (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/106530-stabbing-the-distributor.html)

dsum14 03-19-2006 03:57 PM

Stabbing the Distributor

I have a 95 mustang gt 5.0. I have stabbed a distributor once before. I know you bring the number 1 cylinder to top dead center and drop in the distributor with the rotor pointed at number 1. Okay...so here's my question. The first time I did this I reinstalled the original distributor. Now I have sold the original and bought an MSD distributor. It has no indication on the cap of which plug should be number 1. Can someone walk me through the entire process of stabbing the distributor and setting the timing. Also, there is a plug that comes off the distributor, I don't remember unplugging one from my stock distributor and if I did, I can no longer find where that plug is supposed to go. Does anyone know where I can find the other end?
Thanks
D

g2_5point0 03-19-2006 04:08 PM

RE: Stabbing the Distributor

there's an electrical plug leading to the ignition module on the stock distributor

dsum14 03-19-2006 09:20 PM

My ignition module is all the way over on the fender under the air intake though. Would it run from over there?

dsum14 03-21-2006 03:51 PM

Anybody have a tech article or anything that will help?

Grimace5.0 03-21-2006 06:34 PM

Rotate the engine by hand to TDC on the compression stroke on #1 cyl.

Toss the dist in the hole.

Figure out which terminal you want on the cap as #1.

Turn the dist so the rotor is pointing at the #1 terminal on the cap.

Snug the dist hold down bolt ( 1/2" bolt) snug...not tight.

Route your wires, the firing order on the cap is COUNTER CLOCKWISE.

Start the engine and set the timing with a LIGHT.

Tighten the hold down.

Go for a ride and make any timing adjustments

Drink a beer.

Fastman 03-21-2006 07:22 PM

just like grimace said... when i did mine i found that the distributor rotated a lil when droppin her in.. do you have a chilton.. it'll show you the firing order and where the wires go

Twister 03-21-2006 07:26 PM

another thing to add is that when you remove the distributor, mark the air conditioning line where the modual on the distributor lines up to as you have it all but out. I have been asked a dozen or so times after the magazine article on my car was published about the 1/8th inch masking tape on the line...and in all honesty, since I marked it, I have not been more than 3 degrees off putting the distributor back in (2 times, once for a new intake and once for a new gasket

Grimace5.0 03-21-2006 07:59 PM

Also, there is a plug that comes off the distributor, I don't remember unplugging one from my stock distributor and if I did, I can no longer find where that plug is supposed to go. Does anyone know where I can find the other end?
What distributor is it? Pro Billet?

I understood he bought a new MSD dizzy (unknown model) but like a pro billet, not a stock type. If it is a Pro billet, the plug goes to the ignition control box..ie digital 6 or 6AL

dsum14 03-21-2006 10:05 PM

I don't remember what model the msd is. I did however find the plug. I had stuffed it under the connectors for the coil and 6al box. So I can drop in the distributor in any direction? As long as I follow the firing order?

Grimace5.0 03-21-2006 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: dsum14

I don't remember what model the msd is. I did however find the plug. I had stuffed it under the connectors for the coil and 6al box. So I can drop in the distributor in any direction? As long as I follow the firing order?
No

You have to designate a terminal on the cap as #1. Turn the dizzy so the rotor will be pointing at the terminal you designated as #1. Route the wires accordingly.