5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Brand new stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Brand new stock motor

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Thanks Grimace.
No problem
Old 03-23-2006, 07:26 PM
likenew94stang
2nd Gear Member

complete rebuild, def the way to go if you're trying to keep that stock vibe...
Old 03-24-2006, 12:44 PM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

I can smell it here and there,but I can't see any when I drive it,my freinds told me when their behind me,I get a puff after I give it hard throttle,or when I downshift on a big hill,I got concerned when they told me this,years ago,I got one of my buddeis to drive it hard so I can see,its not that much,just a puff,as for oil,it leaks a little too but,I put a litre in almost every 2 gas fills..

ORIGINAL: smkshw

well,if my motor was blowing blue like crazy,I'd put in a new motor,I'm sure the day will come soon,I never did anything to my motor, because it ran so good for me over the years,didn't want to mess with a good thing,but once this one goes,I'm definetly going to do somthing,I just painted it,so it looks good,I think,just waiting for the motor to go,so I can add some more hp to the mix...
A couple questions, if I may, smkshw.
1. Does your's smoke enough that you can see it while your driving?
2. Do you run the motor hard?
3. How much oil does it use?

I can never see any smoke while I'm driving; I just caught a hint of it in a video I made a couple weeks ago. At any rate, thanks again.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:52 PM
transam396

One reason that I would rebuild the factory motor is this, You know what you have with it.

Some of the companies that do reman motors do a really crappy job on there rebuilds.

I worked in a parts store and we got a guy a reman motor for his truck (it was a chevy 350) less than 6 months later that motor crapped out and he decided to go with a new 350 from GM we decided to pull the reman motor apart and see what was wrong and i couldn't hardly believe it they hadn't turned the rod bearings to the same size which i personally think you should do he had a couple that were 10 over some that were 20 over and at least one that was 30 over same deal with the main bearings .

Plus you have no way of knowing what type of parts they are using in the motor.
Are they using good bearings, rings, gaskets so forth .

any decent machine shop should be able to redo your factory engine for 2200 or below and then you would know what you had
Old 03-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: transam396

One reason that I would rebuild the factory motor is this, You know what you have with it.

Some of the companies that do reman motors do a really crappy job on there rebuilds.

I worked in a parts store and we got a guy a reman motor for his truck (it was a chevy 350) less than 6 months later that motor crapped out and he decided to go with a new 350 from GM we decided to pull the reman motor apart and see what was wrong and i couldn't hardly believe it they hadn't turned the rod bearings to the same size which i personally think you should do he had a couple that were 10 over some that were 20 over and at least one that was 30 over same deal with the main bearings .

Plus you have no way of knowing what type of parts they are using in the motor.
Are they using good bearings, rings, gaskets so forth .

any decent machine shop should be able to redo your factory engine for 2200 or below and then you would know what you had
That makes a lot of sense, Transam. Maybe I'll check around and see what people charge for rebuilds. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I can smell it here and there,but I can't see any when I drive it,my freinds told me when their behind me,I get a puff after I give it hard throttle,or when I downshift on a big hill,I got concerned when they told me this,years ago,I got one of my buddeis to drive it hard so I can see,its not that much,just a puff,as for oil,it leaks a little too but,I put a litre in almost every 2 gas fills..

well,if my motor was blowing blue like crazy,I'd put in a new motor,I'm sure the day will come soon,I never did anything to my motor, because it ran so good for me over the years,didn't want to mess with a good thing,but once this one goes,I'm definetly going to do somthing,I just painted it,so it looks good,I think,just waiting for the motor to go,so I can add some more hp to the mix...
A couple questions, if I may, smkshw.
1. Does your's smoke enough that you can see it while your driving?
2. Do you run the motor hard?
3. How much oil does it use?

I can never see any smoke while I'm driving; I just caught a hint of it in a video I made a couple weeks ago. At any rate, thanks again.
smkshw, sorry, I didn't see your reply before. Thanks for answering those questions. I'm still waiting to ask someone to drive my car so I can see what's going on back there. I'd ask my wife, but I doubt she'd drive it hard enough. Good idea though. Thanks again.