5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Brand new stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Brand new stock motor

So, as some of you may know, I hate oil consumption. Every vehicle I've ever had has used either some or a lot. My GT (105k miles) uses a quart/1k, and smokes a bit if I'm rough with it. I want a solid motor that I can mod with bolt-ons and, one day, heads. Today, I priced a remanufactured stock motor with a 5 year, 50k mile warranty. The total came to $2100 including installation. It's hard to replace a motor that runs so well, but that's a lot of oil usage. I want something fresh and new. I'm on a bit of a limited budget, so a may go for it. What do you think?

By the way, I know you guys with built motors are thinking, "Is he kidding?"
Old 03-22-2006, 11:11 PM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Brand new stock motor

mine's been giving the occasional puff in deceleration for 3-4 years now,it only had 120.000ish kilometers when I bought it,it has 213000 on it now,it run exactly the same as when I bought it,I also am going to put a new motor in,but I'm going to wait until I start to blind people behind me,but its still going strong,I wouldn't put a new motor in because you have to put a little extra oil here and there..
Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Why not just have yours freshened up? Rings, bearings, cyl hone. Have the heads touched up with new valve seals and springs etc etc. I bet you'd be close to if not under your $2100 benchmark.

Be cautious about engine warranties. Some places make you ship it back to them if you have a problem. Some void the warranty if you use it in a "race environment" etc etc.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:28 PM
bdwjdw
2nd Gear Member

It would be alot cheaper if you would install the motor yourself.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smkshw

mine's been giving the occasional puff in deceleration for 3-4 years now,it only had 120.000ish kilometers when I bought it,it has 213000 on it now,it run exactly the same as when I bought it,I also am going to put a new motor in,but I'm going to wait until I start to blind people behind me,but its still going strong,I wouldn't put a new motor in because you have to put a little extra oil here and there..
You know, I like that advise. Glad to know that my motor should still run for a while. As I've mentioned before, it pulls harder than any GT I've driven before--stock ones that is. I'd much rather spend the money on fun things--exhaust and gears for instance. Good info. Thanks.

Why not just have yours freshened up? Rings, bearings, cyl hone. Have the heads touched up with new valve seals and springs etc etc. I bet you'd be close to if not under your $2100 benchmark.

Be cautious about engine warranties. Some places make you ship it back to them if you have a problem. Some void the warranty if you use it in a "race environment" etc etc.
Thanks for the info, Grimace. One question--and I mean this in the most respectful way: Why would I do that versus getting a motor with new bearings and such, if it's around the same price? Again, not trying to be smart. School me.

It would be alot cheaper if you would install the motor yourself.

True indeed. I wish I had the time, equipment, and knowhow.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

some motors burn oil like you would not believe but they run great to.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:34 AM
smkshw
2nd Gear Member

well,if my motor was blowing blue like crazy,I'd put in a new motor,I'm sure the day will come soon,I never did anything to my motor, because it ran so good for me over the years,didn't want to mess with a good thing,but once this one goes,I'm definetly going to do somthing,I just painted it,so it looks good,I think,just waiting for the motor to go,so I can add some more hp to the mix...
Old 03-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smkshw

well,if my motor was blowing blue like crazy,I'd put in a new motor,I'm sure the day will come soon,I never did anything to my motor, because it ran so good for me over the years,didn't want to mess with a good thing,but once this one goes,I'm definetly going to do somthing,I just painted it,so it looks good,I think,just waiting for the motor to go,so I can add some more hp to the mix...
A couple questions, if I may, smkshw.
1. Does your's smoke enough that you can see it while your driving?
2. Do you run the motor hard?
3. How much oil does it use?

I can never see any smoke while I'm driving; I just caught a hint of it in a video I made a couple weeks ago. At any rate, thanks again.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the info, Grimace. One question--and I mean this in the most respectful way: Why would I do that versus getting a motor with new bearings and such, if it's around the same price? Again, not trying to be smart. School me.
I can't find the receipt for my machining, head work and assembly but it was right around $2,000. Complete from intake to oil pan. Now, don't be misled, the engine was a D.S.S. pro bullet that craped out after 50 miles. The shop that rebuilt it recon'd the pistons and rods. Similar to what they would do with your stock stuff I'd assume. Anyway, all I'm saying is that I was into it for like $2200 and had some head work done along with the block rebuild. So I would think that just getting a "ring & bearing" package would be alot less. Maybe $500 less?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks Grimace.

Quick Reply: Brand new stock motor