5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Heads and Intake set up for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 03:10 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Default Heads and Intake set up for boost?

Hey guys, I'm planning my engine build right now. In the future I'd like to throw a single turbo on it, and am trying to build around it. I've heard that the Holley Systemax II is a good mani for boost, and I was thinking about AFR 165s, but I wasn't sure if they'd flow enough. I figured i'd just get a custom grind cam, or pick one out off a site. The main goal here is to have a very powerful car, but really really streetable. That means no lopey cam, and no ridiculous gas mileage. (an attempt[:@]) It's a street strip warrior. Daily driver. It'll see the strip maybe 4 times a year tops, I'm more concerned about it being streetable since I'll be driving it from March-October every year. From what I've read if I get the right equipment I can turn my boost way down for daily driving, and crank it up when I want it. I'd probably be shooting for 9 psi of boost. I figure that should be in the neighborhood of 600 at the crank. Anyway, I've sort of strayed from my question, which was "what do you guys think about that Heads intake setup" any thoughts?

The next thing I gotta figure out is pistons, I think I'll get a dart block, with forged internals-

Thanks guys
Old 03-28-2006, 03:14 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Heads and Intake set up for boost?

Look into AFR 185s or TFS Twisted Wedge. I'd definately go bigger than AFR 165s for a Dart block combo.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:16 PM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

i would say either afr 185's, or the new twisted wedge heads. also i think trick flow now has 185 twisted wedges too, any of these should support your project, also the systemax will work, or the trick flow track heat. an e cam will also benefit you, the lope is very streetable. i am also doing the same project as you, but ill be using an f cam.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:47 PM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah check out turbomustangs.com if you havent already, everything you need to know will be there.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:40 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

I've been to turbo mustangs many a time, but I'd rather talk to guys on here-
It definitely sounds like I should step up to 185s. Either AFR or trick flow.
I had read somewhere before that the systemax was the best for boost, is that the common verdect here?
thanks for the input
Old 03-28-2006, 04:41 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Victor Jrs and an intake with short runners. (BBK SSI-R?)
Old 03-28-2006, 04:49 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

you obviously want the heads that flow the best... i'm in the library so i can't show you the chart but when i get back to the dorm i'll send you the link.

in the link i'm talking bout it shows canfeild 192cc heads out flow all the other leading heads
Old 03-28-2006, 08:42 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

canfield huh.. I haven't heard much about them-
Why victor jrs?
Besides the bbk, what other intakes have short runners?
Remember I'm aiming for total streetability
Old 03-28-2006, 08:47 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

the vic jrs. are 210 cc heads, 2.05/1.60 valves. they flow huge! hp range is around 3000-7000+rpms. for a turbo youll want a good bottom end head. id go with the edelbrock performer rpm heads, the ones with 2.02 valves, and an rpm II intake. 1500- 6500rpm range.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:19 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

i bought a systemax II intake off a guy who was using it on a boost application and he constantly tells me that its perfect for boost. in his words "hell yeah, them things love to be force fed like that" as for heads, i've always heard twisted wedge heads were some of the best heads you can get. you'll probably hear that from nearly everyone on here.

Quick Reply: Heads and Intake set up for boost?