5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fastest stock time???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: fastest stock time???

we are talking stock for stock a .1 means nothing. believe what you want but im telling you the gt spoiler dose not even catch much air. when it snows leave the snow on your spoiler and go drive down the road and see how long it takes for it to fly off. and the saleen spoiler would create more down force than a gt would.

By removing that spoiler and replacing it with a saleen or cobra (forget which one) it has been proven that you can gain up to .2 on the 1/4.
Yea right thats the diff in what your reaction time is.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks you HC
Old 03-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

that won't matter where the fastest you'll be going is about 98~99mph

the difference between a GT and an LX hatch is about 100lbs (give or take, assuming both cars have the same tranny and options) ...if you're talking about a notch it could be up to about 200lbs tops.

you must live in a place where the elevation and conditions are the best in the world, last time i've checked 14.4 is pretty much the best you'll get out of a BONE stock GT and around 14.2 for a BONE stock notch.

the saleen and cobra wings are designed to create MORE downforce not less, and again this wouldn't matter where the top speed you'll be doing is 98~99mph.
So you're trying to tell me aerodynamics don't come into effect until 100mph? So, all this money spent on newer cars to obtain a sleeker body for aerodynamics has been a waste of money? Go stand out in 30km/h winds and stand facing it with your feet together, I bet it almost knocks you over, and then turn side ways, despite the fact that you have less traction, you'll be able to stand easier. Now multiply that by about... 6 to obtain 100mph and tell me aerodynamics do nothing.

I never mentioned a hatch LX.....

So, you're telling me, a car that's more aerodynamic, weighs more than 200lbs less (it's actually around 230 just to inform you) is only going to run 2 tenths less? Definately not, considering the weight alone will drop it about a quarter of a second, add the aerodynamics, and you've got yourself a car that's a half second faster. You think it's just a coincidence that most cars in the NHRA are notches? There's a reason for everything
Old 03-29-2006, 10:07 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

gt seats?..mine are the same as my freinds notch
Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

You can not sit here and tell me that a GT is less aerodynamic than a lx or a notch. because you are wrong. A GT is more aerodynamic than a lx or a notch because not as much air gets under the car. why do you see so many lx and notchs with gt front bumpers and side skirts at the track???
Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Haha you don't? I've seen probably 5x more notch's with an LX bumper than a GT.. Why do you think so many people convert back to an LX from a GT? aha

Some GT's had those cheap seats, but most didn't
Old 03-29-2006, 10:17 PM
z24stang
2nd Gear Member

In super stock they had a bone stock zero option 1987 hatchback 3.08 gear that ran 13 teens,and a 2.79 gear that ran 14 ohs from the box.They must of been baggin it,the cars are quick with the rite driver and conditions.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

ok if you say so, i know i have seen a lot more lx and notches with gt bumpers and skirts. so in scca racing aerodynamics plays a major role, then how come you dont see many notches or lx's? 90% are gts.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:19 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I think I know where he is getting the idea that the GT is slower than the LX......but you are about 20 years late for this arguement.

I remember, back in the day, when those cars were brand new and all the magazines were saying that the LX was a better bargain because a stripped down, zero option LX notch/hatch could be had for ALOT less money than a loaded up GT and will actually run a couple of tenths faster. Actually, they were so cheap that every other guy in my high school had a brand new one.

Those guys were talking about the weight reduction factor due to not having ANY options on the LX notch vs. a fully loaded GT with a hatch....and I mean NO options on the LX at all....options like A/C, which we all know is a major offender in the parasitic loss department.

Now if you want to talk about aerodynamics, you are talking about the wrong cars here. They didn't even know what aero WAS back in the 80s LOL. They didn't have any computer models (or computers) that could predict the effects of the spoilers and fascias on aero and I doubt very much that they spent any amount of time in a wind tunnel testing it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the couple of pieces of plastic that make a GT look like a GT.

Besides, those cars are so old now that "stock" doesn't even mean stock anymore. Hell, a good 21st century air filter would more than make up the difference.[sm=smiley36.gif]
Old 03-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

yep true, but a gt would be more aerodynamic than a lx or notch.

Quick Reply: fastest stock time???