5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

3.55/3.73s and traction

Old 03-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.55/3.73s and traction

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

taller=better traction
Thanks for the replies everyone. Hey Tim, is that due to the fact that taller tires raise the final ratio?

Dunlops suck. Any kinda street tire is not gonna hook. Buy some drag radials and have at it!!!
I'll look into those drag radials. Do such tires have retarded-short lifespans?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:09 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Twisted

taller=better traction
Thanks for the replies everyone. Hey Tim, is that due to the fact that taller tires lower (or is that 'raise') the final ratio?

Dunlops suck. Any kinda street tire is not gonna hook. Buy some drag radials and have at it!!!
Unfortunatly yes. It also depends on your driving habbits. Nittos can last as long as 15k but thats pretty extreme. Mine have been on my car for about 2 years now. But I'm not an abuser!!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

taller=better traction
Thanks for the replies everyone. Hey Tim, is that due to the fact that taller tires lower (or is that 'raise') the final ratio?

Unfortunatly yes. It also depends on your driving habbits. Nittos can last as long as 15k but thats pretty extreme. Mine have been on my car for about 2 years now. But I'm not an abuser!!
Duly noted. Are there any compromises available out there--you know, a decent sport tire with good tread life? Thanks again, Pro50
Old 03-29-2006, 11:13 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

taller=better traction
Yes, but mainly because it will raise your gear ratio (although a taller tire will give a slightly larger contact patch), so why bother to swap the gear and then cancel it out with a tall tire. The guy needs sticky tires and control arms
Old 03-29-2006, 11:16 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

taller=better traction

Duly noted. Are there any compromises available out there--you know, a decent sport tire with good tread life? Thanks again, Pro50
Eagle f1's are supposed to be a real good street tire. Expensive though. It basically boils down to the compound of the rubber. A softer rubber is gonna hook real nice but not last as long. A harder compound will do the opposite. You need a good middle of the road tire, not sure which one though. It will also depend on what you plan to do w/ the car. I just put a set of Toyo proxies on my wifes car. They are supposed to be real good tires ( and weren't that expensive) but they have only been on the car a couple weeks w/ no real driving time on it yet.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

taller=better traction

Eagle f1's are supposed to be a real good street tire. Expensive though. It basically boils down to the compound of the rubber. A softer rubber is gonna hook real nice but not last as long. A harder compound will do the opposite. You need a good middle of the road tire, not sure which one though. It will also depend on what you plan to do w/ the car. I just put a set of Toyo proxies on my wifes car. They are supposed to be real good tires ( and weren't that expensive) but they have only been on the car a couple weeks w/ no real driving time on it yet.
Nice. Thanks for the info, Pro50.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:25 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Any time, glad to help!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:33 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

i have heard that the BFG drag radials are good choice. Go to www.bfgoodrich.com to check em out. havent tried em yet but sound good.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 89GTRed

i have heard that the BFG drag radials are good choice. Go to www.bfgoodrich.com to check em out. havent tried em yet but sound good.
They are good tires but their longevity is less than Nittos. Less than 10k, allot!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:41 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89GTRed

They are good tires but their longevity is less than Nittos. Less than 10k, allot!
WOW! [sm=insomnia.gif] well than i guess that ansers that!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.55/3.73s and traction