5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car will die at a light sometimes....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:58 PM
mblaster890

Default car will die at a light sometimes....

ok, i just picked up this car a few weeks ago, and it's my 1st stang, so bear w/ me....

car is a 95 gt vert and i'll list the mods in a sec, on to the problem.

i'll be pulling up to a light, usually downshifting to slow down a bit, and when i come to a complete stop, the idle will dip very low and die most of the time...then sometimes it's a bit of a bitch to get started back up...but has never not started after. but then most of the other time the car is fine[:@]

i've tried the whole clocking the maf thing just cuz i was hoping for a simple fix...nothing(although it did rid me of the gas smell) and i dont have anything like a fpr to adjust.

mods on the car (if it matters) are
ford motorsports block .030 over
flat top pistions
windsor sr heads
b303 cam....i believe
bbk shorties and catless h
flows
24# injectors(blue tops)
c&l 73 mm maf...calibrated for what i do not know
k&n, gears, etc.

someone please help me out here as i'm about to lose my mind w/ this thing[:@]

edit: also forgot to mention when it stalls, after i restart it, it wants to keep dying until i hold the rpm's for a bit. and even then it seems to want to stall

on another note, my temp gauge jumps around at random, as in it will be in the cold range...and i'll turn the lights on and it will jump to almost hot(cold meaning at the left of the temp gauge, almost hot being past halfway a lil bit) and while driving it will literally bounce back and forth from cold to hot. also, everytime i shut my car off i hear the fan shut off as well. now i have an aftermarket autometer gauge thats not hooked up(the one w/ the 3 wire hookup on the back) but have no idea how to hook it up...

again any help is greatly appreciated
Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 PM
89lx302
1st Gear Member

Default RE: car will die at a light sometimes....

not sure if it would help, but my mustangs idle use to dip low at lights or a complete stop and would die some times and run fine going down the road, i troubleshot the fuel, spark, air and turns out all i had to do was reset the idle.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

how is the fuel preasure regulator?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:11 PM
mblaster890

ORIGINAL: Twister

stock, so i dunno. in the very near future i was planning on buying an aeromotive one and get it dynoed....

and i did change the plugs tonight, all of them had white tips and the gaps were all fubard....still did it w/ new plugs
Old 03-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mblaster890

ORIGINAL: Twister

stock, so i dunno. in the very near future i was planning on buying an aeromotive one and get it dynoed....

and i did change the plugs tonight, all of them had white tips and the gaps were all fubard....still did it w/ new plugs
when the FPR fails, you tend to have trouble after coming to a stop
Old 03-30-2006, 10:18 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

chances are its probably not this, but the guy who had my car before me set the base timing to 26* advance. that caused my car to randomly stall at idle, and not to mention make a nasty detonation noise at WOT. probably not that, just a thought though.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
mblaster890

ORIGINAL: ckyguy68

chances are its probably not this, but the guy who had my car before me set the base timing to 26* advance. that caused my car to randomly stall at idle, and not to mention make a nasty detonation noise at WOT. probably not that, just a thought though.
ya, i still need to check timing this weekend i think it may be too low as my car is somewhat doggy for what it has done to it. also sometimes the car will "break up" up top in the rpm's, not much. but i notice it.

also in the mods list i forgot to add an edlebrock performer upper lower
Old 03-30-2006, 10:58 PM
ddeaton66
3rd Gear Member

You need to check all those things mentioned above...if you still have this problem you may want to look into your O2 sensors. If you are running w/o cats it is possible that the velocity of the exhast gasses is too high to allow your O2's to get a proper sense and are giving the eec poor mixture information. do you hae a check engine light on?

Luck
Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 PM
mblaster890

ORIGINAL: ddeaton66

You need to check all those things mentioned above...if you still have this problem you may want to look into your O2 sensors. If you are running w/o cats it is possible that the velocity of the exhast gasses is too high to allow your O2's to get a proper sense and are giving the eec poor mixture information. do you hae a check engine light on?

Luck
no cel's.....
Old 03-31-2006, 01:25 AM
5.0coupe
3rd Gear Member

set the idle higher... and get an induction service done

Quick Reply: car will die at a light sometimes....