5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Out of Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:53 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Default Out of Ideas

Okay, I'm pretty ticked off right now. Weather got nice in Nebraska and I decided it was time to stop fiddlin around and get the stang back together. I took off the lower intake and replaced the gasket over the winter months and inserted all the necessary MSD components for good messure...6AL, Blaster, Dist. I stabbed the Dist. and timed the car to 12 degrees. I was letting the car idle for about 10 minutes while I was adjusting the idle rpms and letting all the old gas burn out of the lines so I could get it out and have the alignment done since I just replaced the struts, lowered it, hawk pads, and slotted/drilled rotors. I jumped in the car and gave it some gas...the rpms went up. I gave it a little gas again and the rpms went up and then slowly dropped even while I tried to give it a little gas to keep them up. The car died and now will not start. I've checked and have Spark, Fuel, and Compression...the three essentials for an internal combustion motor. I took the Dist Cap off and the rotor is turning. The car is making a funny sound when trying to start, it doesn't seem to be turning fast enough to start and has a level sound to it...kind of hard to explain. Does anyone have any ideas. I need help!!!! I know a little about cars, but this one is out of my league. My wife is mad at me now because I just reinstated the insurance on it and now cannot drive it. Please Help!!!
D
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Out of Ideas

got a good stater, battery, and alternator?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:02 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

yeah your alternator might be bad. never know.. check the voltage going to it
Old 04-03-2006, 04:13 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

I'll check that. I had thought that might be it, but wasn't for sure. Other ideas I've came up with are the timing belt jumped or the IAC is clogged. Think it could be one of those?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:15 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

The starter is engaging and I hooked up Jumper Cables to the battery to try that. I think both of those are fine.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:53 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Well. I took the alternator off and had it tested. It came back bad, but they won't have a replacement until tomorrow. I will see if it fixes my problem.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 AM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

The alternator wasn't the problem. I replaced it and it still won't start. I replaced the starter relay and the ignition control module and nothing is happening. Does anyone have any ideas? Got spark, compression, and fuel in the cylinders. Please someone!!! The weather is nice and I want to drive my car.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:23 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: dsum14

The alternator wasn't the problem. I replaced it and it still won't start. I replaced the starter relay and the ignition control module and nothing is happening. Does anyone have any ideas? Got spark, compression, and fuel in the cylinders. Please someone!!! The weather is nice and I want to drive my car.
Pay someone to fix it instead of wasting money and throwing parts at it. Seriously
Old 04-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

try the battery. is the motor turning really slow? hey Bernie remember my post the other day WONT START. well i told you it could happen haha.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:35 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

try the battery. is the motor turning really slow? hey Bernie remember my post the other day WONT START. well i told you it could happen haha.
Tim, I suffer from CRS!! Refresh my brain. I can't remember this morning!!![&:]

EDIT!!! Oh yeah, I remember it now!!![:@]

Quick Reply: Out of Ideas