5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fog lights

Old 04-04-2006, 12:40 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: fog lights

On my 89 i just got 1 month ago, the left fog works, the right fog doesnt. I replaced the bulb, that isnt the issue. The shop said the switch was good. What is the issue? The connection behind the light seemed good? I am a rookie and cant get any more in depth with electrical issues. Can anyone let me know what may be the issue, and how to check/ fix it as easily as possible. Thanks, Landon.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 PM
DemonGT

one of the main problems with the fox body fogs is the power wire cant handle the voltage...after "X" amount of time with the fog lights AND headlights on ...the wireing over heats...not sure if this happends if you just run the parking lights and fogs, causing the headlights and fogs to shut off....which is bad if its night time..and bad for the switch...i rewired my 91 with the how to from the corral but i cant find it on there site now..need to do it to the 89 now...i only remember running a new power wire to the battery with a relay somewhere behind the switch?

if i remember some of the wiring runs through the turn signal lever piece..and the fog light wiring over heating can burn that out also
Old 04-04-2006, 12:52 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. If you find, or if anyone knows of the HOW TO for the re-wiring of the fogs, I would love to have that information.

In the meantime, can I tap my left working fog? Or is that a no no?

I would love to have the HOW TO, if anyone has it let me knwo the link of info. thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:20 PM
DemonGT

here is the CORRECT way to rewire the fogs on the fox mustangs

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/foglights.html
Old 04-06-2006, 12:21 PM
DemonGT

ttt
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

kool lil bit of info there. but i only use mine for an hour at a time max so im not worried.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Red FIVE O
2nd Gear Member

yeah the corral pretty much sumed it up. actually i rewired both myheadlights and my foglihts(independantly) on spring break. so if you have questions i could share some info. btw the whole process took a little over 3:30 hours.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

GOt my car 2 months ago. The right fog hasnt worked since I got the car. The left fog is working, the right does nothing.

I just did the fog/parking light mod where the fogs come on with the parking lights. I jumped the headlight power wire into my fog light switch. I did that correct, the ONE working fog comes on with the parking lights. What do I need to do to get the darn right fog working?

I checked the connections. They seem to be fine. I tried to scrape and clean the connections that plug into that fog light, and still nothing.

Can I simply cut the wire behind the fog light. Run 2 new wires from the fog directly to the switch??

Since I did the parking light mod, I guess I would need to run the power to the new headlight/fog power group of wires? I would run the ground the the existing wire that is in the fog switch??

Or, could I simply run 2 new wires from my non working fog light, and splice into the working fog lights directly behind the working fog lamp???

Do I need any kind of fuse or anything on the new wire running directly from the fog to either the switch or the other fog? , or what all do I need? What gauge wire? Should I go to the switches, or just jump in at the other fog light? Obviously the wires into the other fog are good as they are working fine, should I jump those?

Might be confusing. But I want to do this tonight so any help would be great. Thanks guys!

One more thing. If I did the corral fog light rewire, it wont fix my problem, correct? It sounds to me like my issue is in the wiring somewhere to the light. So am I correct in assuming the corral rewire wont fix my issue?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:27 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

is the ground for the inop. light a good ground?

take your foglight out, turn them on at the switch and test to see if you have voltage at the light. use a test light. connect it to a ground. it should light up.

if it doesnt light, you have an open between the switch and that light.

with the light out of the bumper, hook the test light up to the positive side of the battery and check the ground. if the ground is good the light will light up.

if it doesnt light, you have a bad ground, or an open.

you need to determine which issue you have to cause the inop fog light before you start splicing into wires.

if you find that you have an open in the power side of the circuit, you can probably run a wire from the inop fog light power wire to the power wire of the light that works.

if you find a bad ground, you can just create a new one with a self tapping screw.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Ok,
First, on the back of the fog light. HOw can I determine power and ground, I just want to make sure. Is the female plug power or ground? I am talking about directly to the fog, there is a male, and a female that plugs to the fog housing?

Secondly, If i take the fog light off, disconnecting the male and female connectors. Can I simply take a test light I have, it has ground and power and a small light on it and check to see if it works? Or will it blow that small bulb?

I dont really understand your examples. What are you calling a test light? Sorry, I am a rookie and just want to do this correctly. Thanks, Landon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fog lights