5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 PM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: fog lights

Test light is a little light that has two probes on it to test with (hence its name test light), determine whether or not you have a problem with the wires to it or the foglight itself.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:44 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Ok,
That is what I thought. But FIVELITERRICEEATER
with the light out of the bumper, hook the test light up to the positive side of the battery and check the ground. if the ground is good the light will light up.
I am supposed to hook the test light to the battery power, and the ground to what? It sure wont reach to my fog light wires on the opposite end of the car!

If I do just rewire the right fog directly in the working left fog. Do I need any fuses, or anything? Or do I simply wire and splice? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:50 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

ok heres what you can do if you dont have a test light. a test light, by the way, is just like a screwdriver that comes to a point. andthe handle has a small light bulb in it. attached to the handle is a wire that you connect to a ground. when you touch the metal tip on something that has a voltage, for instance, a + side battery terminal, and have the wire connected to ground, the light bulb will light up.

but. what you can do. is take out both fog lights, and swap them. if your inop bulb lights on the other side, the light is good and you've determinded that there is a wiring problem.

now to figure out the wiring problem, you'll need schematics for the fog lights. im not exactly sure which is the positive side and which is the ground on your car. you will test at the back of the light though.

try this. since you'll have both fog lights out, test the good side. go buy a test light from the autoparts store, they're under 5 bucks and worth their weight in gold. take your test light, and connect it to a good ground. ( basically any bare metal spot) touch the male connector and then the female connector, but be sure to have the key on, and the fog lights on. which ever connector lights up is your power side. you can now test the opposite side, because the same connector will be power over there too.

im trying to understand what you were saying with your "small bulb" are you trying to say you want to unhook the fog light, and put a different light there? because yes, that will work. but if you have a wiring problem that wont help you.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:55 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

thats the test light im talking about.

when you test the ground you will have that clamp on your positive battery terminal. you'll have the light unplugged also. take the pointed end and touch it to the metal connector on the ground wire. if the test light lights up your ground is good. I hope that made more sense, sometimes when I try to explain things it sounds like i have dyslexia or tourettes.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

OK. Thanks guys. We are getting closer! LOL

I have a cheap test light that came with something I purchaed one time. It has a black and red wired coming out of it with a small little bulb up top, the pos & neg wires are only 7 inches long, not much slack there! Anyways, the damn thing didnt work, lmao.

So, I took the non working lamp out, put it into the working lamp. It worked just fine. So it is wiring somewhere.

The wires into the working light are white &(some color I dont remember), the other wire is black.

So if I just rewire from the non working fog to the working fog, and jump it. Wont that work???? What gauge wire?? Do I need a fuse or anything on the new power wire? Or is there a fuse on the existing working bulb wire therefore I dont need anything. Just run a new ground directly from the non working fog and splice/jump ino the fog wire right behind the working lamp? Let me know asap as I plan to run to walmart and get a new test light, some wire, and anything else you guys say i need. Thanks again and let me know asap.

Landon
Old 04-28-2006, 11:23 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

well. you can splice into the power wire from the other side. but that wont illuminate the fog lamp if you have a bad ground. the white/whatever color wire is probably your power wire. the black is most likely ground.

go get your test light. maybe get some wire splices, the kind you clamp with pliers to lock around the wire, and get some female connectors that will fit the splicers. and get a small spool of wire. not the like 5025930 foot spool. get the smallest they come in, you wont need a lot. oh, get some eye connectors, the kind you put a bolt through for a ground.

its hard to say really what youll need and what you wont without knowing if the light isnt getting power or if it doesnt have a ground.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:39 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Cant I run a power and ground from the working lamp? WOuld that fix the issue? Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:44 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: biglg

Cant I run a power and ground from the working lamp? WOuld that fix the issue? Thanks again.
YES!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:47 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Thanks again pro50. I wasnt sure what fiveliter was talking about. Why wouldnt it solve the bad ground? If I took the working postive and negative from the working fog, jump/splice in right behind the working fog and run new ground and power to the non working fog. Seemed to be the right way to me.

Anyways. I am going to the store now to get what I need, and also what I dont need. MORE BEEEEER!

THANKS THANKS THANKS
Old 04-28-2006, 11:49 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

well if you splice into the power and ground it would fix it. but if you splice just the power then it might not, cause you could still possibly have a bad ground.

i would check to see if you're getting power to the bulb first, then splice. dont just go connecting wires together for no reason, thats a good way to start electrical fires..trust me.

Quick Reply: fog lights