5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

DIY paint job

Old 04-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Default DIY paint job

Hey I want to look into starting to paint my own car and stuff. I want to know where can I get the stuff I need to do this. I know I need a compressor and paint gun and ofcourse paint and clear coat but what else? Also do I need one of those rooms that you drive the car into? Heat room? drying room? Hmm?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:06 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: DIY paint job

Be ready to spend over $2000 on paint, compressor, supplies,gun and tools. Then be prepared to have car that looks like shat.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:20 PM
roadrunner
2nd Gear Member

A desent job can be done in a garage. Sometimes better than factory paint. But it will cost alot considering you need a two guns. And you dont need a booth. Just buy a single stage eanamel and if you really want it shiny and to give it depth clear coat over that. Its really not that hard. Just take your time.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:24 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

ohhh dude i noticed you live in redondo beach! i have a friend who lives down near the pier ... we go there alll the time ...

ok aside from that ....

let me give you a quick breakdown of the parts and material:

1. Air Compressor (at least a 30 gallon tank, but larger the better)
2. Pressure regulator (if not one on the tank)
3. HVLP sprayer (high volume, low pressure ... gravity feed from top)
4. In-Line water filter
5. CLEAN lines (a lot of people mess up paint jobs b/c they use lines they typicall use with their air tools which commonly will get oil in the lines)
6. Sandpaper (500 to 2000 and everything in between)
7. Sanding blocks
8. Floursent lights (on a stand are great to see ripples/lines in the side and top of your car)
9. Thick Masking Paper (news paper tends to blead through)
10. Masking tape ("deading" all the tape you use a bit by lightly touching it to your pants or shirt so it doesn't stick too hard when you remove it and pull paint)

as for paint and body:

1. Body Hammer and Dollies
2. Quality body filler (don't read bondo .. you want to use this to fill in the minute scratches sometimes left from sanding ... you'll sand about 99.9% of this back off the car)
3. Primer (I like to use dense primers that will fill in the finest of the paper scratches)
4. Base coat of paint (if you using a 2 or 3 stage paint which i recomment)
5. Clear or Kandy coat
6. Reducer and Hardner for the base and clear
7. Mixing sticks and buckets (to get the right mixture)

Painting your own car is NOT hard. but to do it right you need to 1) PRACTICE, 2) have the right tools, and 3) take your time. if you rush it or try to cut corners it will look like crap. you can paint in any enclosed room (or even outside if you plan on wet sanding and compound buffing the entire car to take out the trash). if you paint in your garage ... i would suggest putting up drop cloths from floor to ceiling to keep paint overspray off of anything else in the garage. have a couple or three good box fans pulling the air out of the garage (lowering your garage door down on top of the box fans works great). also, lightly dampen the floor too keep the dust down to a minimum. you don't need heater to dry the paint. most paints these days will flash over in 15-30 mins ready for the next coat.

you can find a lot of great books online and get a lot of good advise from people ... but bottom line, you have to just learn how to do it (like welding). the best guys to talk to is 1) you local automotive paint store and 2) a local body shop guy. i'm not a professional painter ... but i worked for 2 years at a body shop as a blocker/sander ... so i learned a lot in the time i was there.....
Old 04-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Be ready to spend over $2000 on paint, compressor, supplies,gun and tools. Then be prepared to have car that looks like shat.

Lol I want to practice on some bumpers and hoods from the junkyard first.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:26 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

DON'T buy single stage paint ....

you CAN get great results on your own ... a professional painter is got the same skills you do ... you just have to practice and hone them.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Cool thanks jonny. How old is your friend?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Crazyfast50stang

Cool thanks jonny. How old is your friend?

he's about my age ... 26-ish .... name is Dereck
Old 04-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Dont know him the only dereck I know is 21. Which pier Redondo beach pier or hermosa/manhattan?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:41 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

hahaha ... i have no idea ... i know there was an arcade ... and some great japanese / seafood shops ....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY paint job