5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rebuilding engine..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 02:43 AM
chachi
1st Gear Member

Default Rebuilding engine..

I have to rebuild my engine to fix my lifters, will this make my engine stronger and make more power or no?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:44 AM
SpeedRicer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rebuilding engine..

...you're running 13's with that setup? got any slips? anyway, of course it will make it stronger as long as you do it right. faster?...maybe...13's is pretty frikin fast for what you have.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:53 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

I suggest the rebuild kit from summit with forged pistons.Its a damn good kit.

As for your crankshaft its stock and orginal (NEVER BEEN REBUILT BEFORE) i would have it turned 10 thousandths.

Before ordering that kit though decide whether or not you are going 30 over,40 over or 60 over.Those are the most common but you could even go as light as 20 over but i suggest 30 over unless its been rebuilt before and then i say 60 over.

Depending on how involved you get this thing could BLOW your mind if you take your time and do it right.Are MECHANICALLY INCLINED?Ever ported a head?How much can you do on your own?Whats your engine building history?I will tell you that your E7TE heads can be made to flowwith most aftermarket head for a fraction of the price as long as you are able to di it yourself.Theres many tricks to the trade to get more power its just a matter of picking the right combo.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:44 PM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

i would love to see a step by step breakdown on p&p heads..
Old 03-08-2004, 03:28 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

it will be stronger if you do it right. i.e. all new bearings, hardware, gaskets, pistons, etc and get good block work done
Old 03-09-2004, 02:13 AM
chachi
1st Gear Member

how much will it cost me?
Old 03-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Musthang

I have the same question. How much is a quality stock rebuild?
Old 03-09-2004, 03:10 PM
1hot88drop50
2nd Gear Member

all this talk about rebuilding adds up.. in looking through a couple magizines i saw and ad for rebuilt engines. How good or bad is the buying a complete rebuilt engine compared to rebuilding yours? What are some of the pros and cons? ik thinking of rebuilding but wieghing my options..
Old 03-09-2004, 03:56 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

it depends on what if anything you change when you rebuild it. if you don't change bore and stroke or cam or heads, you will be back to new stock condition. if you had a lot of mileage on the motor, this could be some increase in power depending on how old the motor was.
what happened to the lifters? did the lifter bores get damaged? did metal get into the oil pan? did the engine lock up? you will have to take the engine apart and examine the bearings and crank for wear/damage. also the cam and its bearings. once you have a better idea of what the total damages are, then you can get a better estimate on the cost.
if you don't have the experience of rebuilding an engine, then you have a choice to make:
1) go for it yourself and learn by trial and error or
2) buy a rebuilt shortblock and start from there or
3) buy a good used engine from a salvage yard and install it
4) buy a new crate motor and install it
The final choice is up to you and your wallet to decide which way to go.
either way my guess is somewhere between $1,000 to $4,000 depending upon what damages you find and the final choice you make
remember "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go???
Old 02-23-2005, 03:37 AM
zkit18
1st Gear Member

How can you tell if you need to bore it? I have a bit over 150K on my engine and I would like to rebuild the engine before I leave the island. I am gonna get the forged piston kit from summit but I don't want to bore it if I don't have to. I've never done it and I don't trust any mechanics here (to do it right or to not overcharge me). Also what else should I get when I the kit to add a little more reliability and hp without raising the gas milage (gas is between $2.20 - $2.50 for regular here)? Cam? Timing gears? If so, what type? I have new headers, cold air intake, and I am going to upgrade to 130 amp alt as soon as I can figure out the wiring. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding engine..