5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car sat for 8-10 weeks, battery good, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:17 AM
MetalAges

Default Car sat for 8-10 weeks, battery good, won't start

Heya everyone,

So I am about to join the ranks of modding up my 92 5.0 LX Hatchback (around 70k original miles). I went to start her up after a long overdue break and discovered she won't start. The battery is in need of charging but it cranks over good, I even tried jumping from my other car after it sat hooked up for about 30 minutes. Before the car sat all this time it cranked over and started perfectly, no issues. She's sat about 8-10 weeks now without a start, through Winter basically.

I called our local shop and they mentioned it may be fuel related and to check the filter to see if gas is moving through there once it is cranked over, and if so to check up front. I figured I would ask some seasoned stang owners in here first, to see if any of you have encountered this scenario and what you did to fix it.

Any guidance appreciated! It's been a longggg time since I worked on cars (over 15 years when I rebuilt my 73 Nova) so I am definitely rusty, but excited to play with my stang now!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:22 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Car sat for 8-10 weeks, battery good, won't start

Fuel turns stagnit if it sits for a long time, drain the tank and fill her back up.

That what happens to my boat.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 AM
MetalAges

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

Fuel turns stagnit if it sits for a long time, drain the tank and fill her back up.

That what happens to my boat.

Wow, so that could actually not allow the car to start at all? And when you say "that happens to my boat" you have had this same exact issue of cranking fine but not starting, until you flushed then refilled?

What's the best way (proper) of going about this (draining)? I think I had little under half a tank in there if I recall. If I turn the key to the start position will that return a realisitc tank measurement?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Have you checked for spark yet? Do that first.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Sprayin86
1st Gear Member

could be several different things. do you here the fuel pump kicking on. if not it could be relay related or the fuel pump itself. i don't think the gas would go bad after 8-10 weeks. also ignition switches on fords are notorious for going bad. the metal ears come loose and they seperate from the plastic part. easy fix with a screwdriver and a pair of vise grips.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:59 AM
hotstang97gt
3rd Gear Member

if your not going to use it during the winter then you should put this stuff called stabil or maybe its stabilizer in you tank to pervernt it from going bad
Old 04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
MetalAges

I'll be back at the car later today and will check for spark.

It was a fluke that it sat that long really. We got a third vehicle (kids outgrew the back seat of the stang ) and so our townhome area only allows two car spaces. I moved the Stang to my parents and between kids/kid activities, winter and lots of working from home (self employed) it just sat too long before I got back around to taking it for a ride. Bah!

I did pull a plug and it wasn't wet after a few rounds of cranking.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:47 PM
MetalAges

Well I went by and tried something on the ol stnag today - one thing I should have caught the other day. When I turn the key, I do not hear the sound of the fuel pump (or is it the filter?) kick in like I usually do, the high whining sound. So would this be where I start instead? I have spark.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:50 PM
1FUN5.0
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I would say so. Have you tried the inertia switch?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:24 PM
MetalAges

No I haven't (I'm a total noob and relearning a lot of this stuff so.....) - I will try that before going further. Has it been known to need resetting on 5.0s after a long sit? (and is it the pump or the filter that makes that high whine sound?)

Quick Reply: Car sat for 8-10 weeks, battery good, won't start