5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Grinding in reverse....clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 02:51 PM
soliddrummer

Default Grinding in reverse....clutch?

91 mustang gt. t5 trans. When shifting into reverse, I have to put it in another gear first (usually 5th) or it will grind like a SOB. If I put it in 5th gear first, then it goes into reverse just fine....I was told by a mechanic friend that it was the clutch, that it wasnt disengaging all the way, and so it would grind...I just put in a new clutch, and I have the same problem..... Any ideas? This is my third mustang that does this by the way....I had an 88gt that did it and my brothers 95 GT does it too....Is this a chronic mustang problem?
Old 03-08-2004, 04:58 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Grinding in reverse....clutch?

i have heard of it before. if it was your clucth you would have trouble putting it into other gears.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:21 PM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

probably the syncronizers in the tranny, need to be replaces, t5's are junk. you have to be really careful with them or they just wont last, get a tremec if possible
Old 03-08-2004, 05:43 PM
1hot88drop50
2nd Gear Member

syncros are a very common problem and are the reason why most trannies have the little problmes they do, and will continue to be a replacement need as long us people like us slam it in gear. The safe thing to do is to practice getting your shift points donw to where you dont have to qworry about grinding them. Or if your like me and Powershift... chalk it up as a small price to pay for going ***** out!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:30 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

*LOL*..bud thier is no synos in reverese.. I just go to like 5th then rev.. you were doing it right..just have to clue the rest of the mustang world on it
Old 03-08-2004, 07:00 PM
soliddrummer

Yeah, I didnt think there was syncros in reverse.....What could the problem be then? Its driving me crazy...I just called and asked a transmission shop and the guy told me it is the clutch, not disengaging all the way and that the clutch needs to be adjusted...Correct me if Im wrong, but the clutch (stock) in a mustang is self adjusting...And if you lift the clutch all the way from the floor it essentially "zeros" itself.....Ive done this and still grinds....Im totally used to having to put it in 5th then reverse, but Im sick of having valet's grind around trying to back my car up....Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2004, 08:42 PM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

Get a tremec. There is no cure for your ailment. Mine used to do the same thing until I pulled the tranny out of a 93 Cobra. Hasnt messed up yet. Just a matter of time though.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:11 AM
bmorrisj
3rd Gear Member

the car's manual says wait 3-5 seconds when coming to a stop before going into reverse [8D].... the shaft in the tranny spins until you put it neutral or on a sync'ed gear, R has none, so you have to wait until the shaft stops or you make it stop...
Old 03-09-2004, 12:41 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Mine used to do that all the time but it stopped doing it a couple months ago, I'm def happy about it. Mine didn't have anything to do with that though cause it would do it even right after I'd let it warm up for a while. You could go from neutral for like 5 minutes to reverse and it would still do it, but no worries now.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:49 AM
midnitestang
1st Gear Member

This is true. Mine actually says 9 seconds. If it grinds after that it says prolly a problem with the pressure plate or clutch disc.

Quick Reply: Grinding in reverse....clutch?