5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I think I got a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:40 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default I think I got a problem...

Well somthing had to go wrong.

Heres the story ill try to explain the best I can.

I was having a coolant leak from my timing chain cover, so I took the waterpump and timing cover off and replaced the gaskets. Well I finally finished today and went to start her up and she fired right up, I let her idle for about 5 mins so she can get warmed up and check for leaks. I finally decided to go back to the auto parts store to return the Harmonic balcancer puller i rented, when leaving the driveway she stalled and shut off. I figured no problem and tryed to start her up again and it was just cranking over no starting at all, not even a sputter.

I firgured I just flooded it trying to crank it so many times, so I let it sit for about 15 mins, and tryed it again and still didnt start. I checked for spark and fuel pressure and I got both so I was like WTF!!. So I gave up and would figure it out when I get back from work. Right before I left to work I decided to try one more time, went to start her and she fired right up like nothing happened, im like WTF!!

I figure its prolly the Ignition Control Module so I picked one up from work and will try it tomarrow.

Anyone know what might cause this?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I think I got a problem...

If its running too rich could this cause it? I think I may of flooded the car.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:43 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

do u a have a fuel pressure regulator? if not its time to buy one the exact same thing was happening to my mustang. try this when u get in the car turn the key where the radio and everything comes and count to 10. after that then try cranking it up if it starts there urs problem
Old 04-06-2006, 06:00 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

I do have a pressure regulator. Why would that be my problem?

What cause it not to start if you leave the key on for 10 seconds? Floods it?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:03 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

when it starts to go out it will remain open and let fuel bypass and then flood it out. i was told are cars need so much pressure for it start and turning the key and counting to 10 allows the fuel pump to keep enough pressure there for the car to start.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

It won't flood it by just turning on the key, assuming that's what you're saying. No injectors are open, and even if one was, you'd only flood 1 cylinder, it would still run. You don't have to count to 10 either, that's a long time to wait for a fuel pump, more like 3. Just listen until your fuel pump turns off, 'tis pretty loud, when your fuel pump turns off, you have all the pressure you're getting out of it.

If you flooded it, 15 minutes isn't enough time for it to get all of that fuel out of there, takes a long time. It is a possibility that you flooded it, but I personally doubt it.

When it stalled was it just like you turned off the key, or was it more of a sputtering stall?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

It was a sputter stall.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

did you check the plugs??? did they look really wet
Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

that sounds like the ignition module is going bad
Old 04-07-2006, 04:04 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yes the plugs were wet, Took em out today they were covered in suet. And smelled like gas.

I changed the Ignition Module today, it hasnt did it yet but I know its running real rich, I think it just needs a good tune.

Quick Reply: I think I got a problem...