5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Your 5.0 a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Your 5.0 a daily driver?

I drive mine every day. So far the only issue it has given me by way of a "failure" was when my gas tank filler neck grommet decided to start leaking the same day i filled my tank. Ive never ran into any problems that caused me to not be able to drive the car. its a 94 cobra 5.0 with 156k miles.... and still going strong.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

My '89 is my DD except in nasty weather and during the winter. For that, I have my '93 Bronco...which, sadly, I also couldn't resist modifying.

As far as little stuff breaking down...the power mirrors don't work any more, they move in but not out, and not up or down. Also the **** on the driver side door handle keeps popping off while I'm cranking the window, lol. It has 120,000 miles.

As far as reliability goes...The previous owner put a damper on that. I had the car for 2 weeks when it actually lit on fire and burned up all the wiring in the car because the last guy put in a fuse that was too big, causing my harness to go up in flames (also fried my deck). Rewired the whole car, got it back 2 weeks later....Hood flew up while I was driving, new windshield and lots of ugly dents on my roof, plus a smashed fiberglass hood, Headlight switch went out (common problem, I know), fixed that in half an hour. A month after I got it back, blew the tranny. Got it back from that 3 weeks later...A month after that, passenger side ball joints went out. Did that myself...Since then...The trac-lok has worn out, the alternator charges at like 8 volts, one night I was sitting in a gas station at 1AM and my horn just started blaring for no reason. I wasn't even in the car...I drove through a residential neighborhood with my horn screaming until I drove up the driveway, ran to the garage, grabbed a pair of vicegrips, and pulled off a battery terminal...my headliner ripped out while I was driving, my hood flew up again, more ugly dents in my roof, and the pass side hinge ripped out, my passenger side fog light lens fell out, my driver's seat always falls back a notch while I'm driving (scary as **** when this happens)....oh, and since about a month ago a blown head gasket.

I've had the car since May '06...and I don't even beat on it. Sounds like fun, huh?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

Mine is the only car that I have so it's my DD.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:13 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

it's a daily driver during the summer, i drive it about 75% of the time, but during the winter it stays parked 99% of the time.

Reliable, Broke a rocker stud one time, and then the typical ford things that go out at certain milage such as the alternator and starter.