5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ECM HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 02:00 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default 5SPD ECM OR AUTO ECM SWAP????

so i was wondering, if anyone knows if i could swap out my 5.0 auto ecm for the five speed version, as i heard it increases performance over the auto version

are the rumors true, that the auto trans harness fries the computer, no codes etc, from koeo test etc???
Old 04-23-2006, 08:38 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE:ECM NIGHTMARE, LACKS HORSEPOWER BAD ECM, NO CEL

Where is my EEC RELAY?

[:'(]
Old 04-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: RE:ECM NIGHTMARE, LACKS HORSEPOWER BAD ECM, NO CEL

ORIGINAL: aode06

Where is my EEC RELAY?

[:'(]
EEC relay is above the ECM.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default ECM SENT OUT FOR REBUILD

ok awesome !!! found a bad ground to ECM relay as well,. so I am repairing that as well/BATT VOLTS 12.244 GROUND AT EEC RELAY 10.88V AND 1.97 RES TO GROUND . [:'(]

you guys go check for ground and be happy, but no one checks how good that ground really is(wire resistance to ground, and actual ground voltage compared to actual batt voltage) AS THIS CAR IS PLAGGED WITH GROUND FAULTS.

As far as the bad grounds, the BAD VOLTAGE REGULATOR sending out 19volts give or take ,and the fact the ecm had a dent on the side of it, the previous owner didnt deserve to have this stang, as he treated it like crap!!!!!
WONDER THIS COMPUTER WENT SOUTH.

So now my nightmare got worse, Im gonna RE- check the entire vehicle grounds all over again and verify them before installing the RE BUILT ECM.

OLD ECM SENT OUT TO BE REPAIRED , I HAVE A 2 WEEK HOLD TIME. A9P ROCKS

Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ECM HELP NEEDED

ok the ECM has been recieved and is being tested this week, I was advised to check all relays controlled by the ECM and all sensors to ensure none are shorted, however, I believe that the alternator voltage regulator giving the ECM massive voltage wiped out the ECM, however the car ran even though that happened wierd stuff here.

Also I was told to check the ECM 10 PIN FUEL INJECTION HARNESSES, from PINS to the wiring for each pin tested to determine any shorts, by also wiggling the harness.
And check pins from ECM HARNESS TO THE SENSOR WIRES THEMSELVES.

This is all one big electrical nightmare, but must be done prior to installing the new ECM.

WE NEED THOSE DIAGRAMS ON OUR SITE, BUT THE ADMIN REFUSED SAYING COPYWRIGHT VIOLATION, AND THE DUD THAT OWNS THE SITE HAS THOUSANDS OF EMAILS HE HAS NOT ANSWERED ACCORDING TO HIS SITE

Old 05-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode06

ok the ECM has been recieved and is being tested this week, I was advised to check all relays controlled by the ECM and all sensors to ensure none are shorted, however, I believe that the alternator voltage regulator giving the ECM massive voltage wiped out the ECM, however the car ran even though that happened wierd stuff here.

Also I was told to check the ECM 10 PIN FUEL INJECTION HARNESSES, from PINS to the wiring for each pin tested to determine any shorts, by also wiggling the harness.
And check pins from ECM HARNESS TO THE SENSOR WIRES THEMSELVES.

This is all one big electrical nightmare, but must be done prior to installing the new ECM.
On the 10-pin connectors....those are your salt & pepper, check the fix procedure here. Checking all the relays/actuators before connecting the ECM, is the SOP required by re-mfgr's to make sure their work dosn't go to waste however, it was part of the pinpoint procedure to id the ECM as the culprit....it's a matter of reviewing what was done. Let us know how it does.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:54 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ok here is the deal, basically, while the ECM is under diagnosis, I am to check the wiring, relays and sensors, to insure that the same problem does not occur.

The ECM WILL BE TESTED AFTER IT HAS BEEN REMANED 1000 STARTUP CYLCES( ALSO FACTURING IN RUN TIME SIMULATIONS)
according to the re-manufacturer. Time tables, shift sequences and sensor variations will take place in this simulation, as well as temperature and vibration circumstances, stress loading and HIGH QUALITY SILVER SOLDER WILL BE USED.

Now, I will be provided with the recordings of such before and after.

THE NICE PART, IS THAT EVERY POSSIBLE SHORT AND RELAY SITUATIONS ARE SIMULATED TO MAKE SURE THE ECM THROWS THE CEL TO THE CORRECT PIN
Old 05-05-2006, 01:38 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ok good news, the ECM is rebuilt and in, ground faults repaired. and car flies !!!!!!! It was repaired with high quality solder and parts.

The Ecm Diagnosis Fault is in the power supply location on its circuit board that was repaired, so Im assuming the alternator fried it, even though the car still ran, but like crap.

The car report codes as it should when i disconnect things now as well. Its like a brand new 5.0 liter .

NOW I NEED SOME HELP HERE, MY TPS SCREWS HEAD(TOP) BROKE OFF WHILE TRYING TO LOOSEN. THE DEALER TOLD ME TO PULL OFF THE TPS AND USE A PROPANE TORCH ON THE THROTTLE BODY AND REMOVE THE STUDS REMAINS WITH VISE GRIPS, IM ASSUMING THIS INFO IS OK????
Old 05-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Yep...to heat up the threadlocker and expand the threaded hole...careful though...

Added: Suggest you remove the TB and work on the bench....safety first.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:25 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

OK A FEW THINGS HERE,

FIRST OUR SITE NEEDS THAT DIAGRAM ON HERE, IT IS VERY VITAL

SECOND IF YOUR DIGITAL VOLT OHM METER GOES TO ZERO RESISTANCE WHEN TOUCHING TOGETHER, ANY RESISTANCE TO GROUND OR POWER WIRES .02 OR HIGHER SHOULD BE REPAIRED, AS RESISTANCE CAN GET HIGHER AND WORSE LATER. ALL MY GROUNDS ARE NOW RESISTANCED TO .000000 OR EXCELLENT!

same battery voltage at battery, at all my power wires and grounds as well, im only doing this once you know, (for a while i guess lol)

THE BOLTS HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED FROM FORD, BUT THEY DO HAVE THEM AT A DISCONTINUED AND OBSOLETE MOTORCRAFT PARTS/AFTERMARKET DEALER HERE.

Quick Reply: ECM HELP NEEDED