5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Opinions needed: Brake and tire failure on a 1990 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Visigothan

Default RE: Opinions needed: Brake and tire failure on a 1990 5.0

I am unsure of how to answer that, ikeybmg; I am not a mechanic and my knowledge of automotive repair is fairly limited, and supplimented only by my skills with Google. [:-]
Old 04-11-2006, 05:09 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

lol..whatever it is, id make the mechanic fix it or id take him for all hes got. his messup endangered your life.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Visigothan

They're in the process of fixing it right now. Currently, what's left of the tire and the wheel are at the tire manufacturer, undergoing an "investigation" into the failure. The owner of the shop, who I've been taking my car to for years) was absolutely mortified and promised full restitution when I showed him what had happened.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:19 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Weirdest thing I ever heard of but my suspicions are with the mechanic... [:-]
Old 04-11-2006, 06:23 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

agree with everyone else.

if it wasnt falling aprat before your mechanic touched it,
sounds like they broke it, or didn't do work correctly.

time to find a new shop
Old 04-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

I firmly disagree. Having worked in a shop since a week after my 16th (when I got my license), I know how everything is done. You don't need to touch the brake lines to do any of that work. All that needs to be done for the alignment is loosening of the locking-nut on the inner tie-rod socket, which is as easy as crawling under the car with a creeper with a wrench, then just spin the inner socket to where-ever it needs to go. Wheels and tires... repair shops don't even do them, they send them away to a tire shop, and besides, the changing of a wheel and tire obviously has nothing to do with the lines. So I would suppose just un-lucky.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

I firmly disagree. Having worked in a shop since a week after my 16th (when I got my license), I know how everything is done. You don't need to touch the brake lines to do any of that work. All that needs to be done for the alignment is loosening of the locking-nut on the inner tie-rod socket, which is as easy as crawling under the car with a creeper with a wrench, then just spin the inner socket to where-ever it needs to go. Wheels and tires... repair shops don't even do them, they send them away to a tire shop, and besides, the changing of a wheel and tire obviously has nothing to do with the lines. So I would suppose just un-lucky.
I didn't say the brake line was touched, I said the lower mounting nuts on the strut tower may have been loosened (if you loosen them it will give you some caster adjustment) if they were not properly tightened down then there would be excess play in the hub area and the brake line could have hit the wheel.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Visigothan

Ok, so I just got a call back from the shop.

They out-source their alignments to a shop run by a friend of the owner.

Apparently they got a "new guy" in two weeks ago, and this is the second complaint against his work, so he's outta there.

My mechanic let me know what was going on, and basically is thus, and I'll repeat it as best I can without screwing up terms:

The guy bent the brake hose assembley (the metal part) out of the way to get to a bolt, and then left it there, where it could make contact with the tire. My mechanic checked the other side of the vehicle and found that the same thing had been done, and indeed that brake line was leaking as well. I guess I just didn't notice that one in my haste and worry about the left front wheel. Apparently the right front wheel/tire/brake line were totally ****ed too.

Anyway, they've made full restitution with a new set of tires, brake lines and made sure the alignment is correct. My mechanic said his friend who owns the alignment shop just fired the guy that screwed up. I feel sort of bad that I inadvertently cost someone their job, however, a reckless mistake as such could have gotten me killed. My mechanic said that my right front tire was very, very close to destroying itself because of the groove worn in it by the brake line on the right side.

Thanks for the replies; I think I'm going to get the vehicle safety inspected by a third party as well, just to be sure.

Man, I fix computers, not cars, but this incident is making me seriously re-evaluate my lack of automotive knowledge. [:-]
Old 04-11-2006, 08:04 PM
ZoSo15
2nd Gear Member

wow. i'm glad you got everything worked out. your mechanic seems like a good guy, i'd stick with him cause they're hard to come by.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Visigothan

Just got it back from the shop.

My mechanic showed me the groove worn in the right tire by the same part of the brake line that was rubbing the left tire and caused it to burst. It was about...1/4" of an inch deep, running around the entire inner sidewall of the tire, right below the tread, which is why I didn't spot it - It looked almost like a feature or styling of the tire itself and not a groove cut into it.

Gah...I really dodged a bullet with this one. X_x

Quick Reply: Opinions needed: Brake and tire failure on a 1990 5.0