5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cost of AOD transmission Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:03 PM
maliszewski

Default Cost of AOD transmission Rebuild?

Hey guys,

I have a 1990 LX 5.0 Hatchback Mustang with an Automatic transmission. The OD doesn't work anymore (I see this is a common problem with the AOD), does this require a transmission rebuild? If so, can you guys give me a rough estimate of what this is going to cost, including labor. I just want to get an idea of what a shop will charge, so I don't get ripped off. If any of your have had your AOD rebuilt, if you don't mind how much did it cost you? Any insight into this would be very appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

-Mark

P.S. - I wish I could do it myself, but I'm afraid I don't have the expertise or tools or garage to do it, so it will have to be a shop job.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:25 PM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cost of AOD transmission Rebuild?

usually it will cost you from $500-$1000 depending where you go. I guess you get what you pay for. One of my friend rebuilds them cheap, like 400 bucks but the owner always seems to bring it back like 5 times and spends alot more money due to his mistakes. I think that you also have to pay extra if you need another converter. But it depends on the shop. The warranty should be more than 3 months. I guess a good estimate is around $600.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:33 PM
maliszewski

Hey thanks for the reply. That sounds about what I am expecting. The car has good paint, but there are a few bad rust spots and so I don't want to dump too much money into the thing. I actually kind of got ripped off because I didn't notice the OD problem when I bought it, so if I go to resell the car I don't want to give someone else my problems. After the transmission is rebuilt I might feel better about the car, we'll see. I really like this community though, I should have lurked here in this forum for about a month before making my purchase, would have been better off.

-Mark
Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

It also depends on wether you are going to do a stock or a performance rebuild. If you are having it rebuilt you mind as well go ahead and get a performance rebuild while its already out of the car. I had a full rebuild that cost me a little over 1k on my AOD.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:22 PM
maliszewski

Was your full rebuild a performance rebuild or just a regular rebuild? I just got an estimate for a standard rebuild and it was $950.00 with a maximum of $1200.00 (90 day, 6000 mile warranty). I am thinking about shopping around a bit.

-Mark
Old 04-11-2006, 07:40 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

A complete "stock" rebuild for me was $1100 plus tax. thats why when it went out AGAIN I just swapped it for a manual. made the car a lot funner to drive also
Old 04-11-2006, 07:50 PM
maliszewski

Well actually I would like a manual, but the problem is the value of the car to begin with. If mine looked as nice as yours, it might be worth the extra money to do a swap. Because I have to pay someone for the labor, a swap would probably cost me $1700-2000.00. What kind of warranties are you guys getting on your AOD rebuilds? Couldn't you take it back to the shop or was it past the warranty period?

-Mark
Old 04-11-2006, 09:34 PM
5.0_faithful
2nd Gear Member

My rebuid was a performance rebuild, And it cost $2100.00 . It came with a 12month/12,000 mile warranty with an option to extend it to 3yr/36000 miles for a few hundred more . I know I was ripped but the AOD is great now. And It still is flawless. That came with a higher torque converter and tranny cooler.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoMoCo

usually it will cost you from $500-$1000 depending where you go. I guess you get what you pay for. One of my friend rebuilds them cheap, like 400 bucks but the owner always seems to bring it back like 5 times and spends alot more money due to his mistakes. I think that you also have to pay extra if you need another converter. But it depends on the shop. The warranty should be more than 3 months. I guess a good estimate is around $600.

absolutely no way. that won't cover parts

an aod HAS to have the converter replaced , because it has no drain hole in it. a stock converter (or any other for that matter )is an ez $500

parts and labor for me 8 years ago was $1800 for the first rebuild, i opted to do the fms wide gear set, 2200 stall, and transgo shift kit....total cost for that was about $2200 and it lasted 8 months in a 14 second car. the second rebuild labor only was about $800

Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 PM
maliszewski

So I guess my 950-1200 dollar estimate isn't sounding too bad. Man, is this transmission a piece of crap or what? I won't be driving it hard at all, I am just going to use it as a normal car, with this in mind will it last a little longer than a year, lol?

-Mark

Quick Reply: Cost of AOD transmission Rebuild?