5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fusible link guage to AMP conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:54 PM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

Default Fusible link guage to AMP conversion?

I need to replace the fusible link for my ignition system. So far I haven't been able to find one that is 20 guage. I would rather replace the wire with a fuse type. Does anyone know what the equivlent AMP would be for 20 guage or even a chart that has all the convertions? Because I would like to replace all the fusible links. Those things suck. I would like to find a Panel that I could use with the fuse type fusible links. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 03-13-2004, 03:03 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fusible link guage to AMP conversion?

That's something I'd like to do too. I thought I had a problem with mine a while back but luckily I had another car I could take them out of, now it just doesn't look great and it would be nice to do that. I'd def be interested in figure that out.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:13 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

try Painless Wiring, they make a lot of auto electrical stuff including complete wiring harnesses and really nice switch panels-you should be able to Yahoo or Google and find their website, I don't have it handy right now. You can also buy different size fuse holders at your local auto parts store-I know Advanced Auto and Pep Boys have them. they have them for all different types of fuses and in different wire gauges also-they are great for adding a new circuit with it's own separate fuse so you don't overload an existing one when you add something new.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:54 PM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

I've searched the internet far and wide and can't find an answer. I seems that many people have same question but no one has an answer. I checked with Advanced Auto and they don't even carry a 20 guage fusible link. They only have 14 and 16 which are for Chryslers, although I would think they work the same. Hopefully other part stores will carry what I need. I would seem to me that someone has done this conversion before. Being able to plug a new fuse in rather than rewire a fusible link has to be a whole lot more convenient.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:38 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

I'm gonna look into it some more, I work in the electrical department at Home Depot and a couple of the people I work with really know their stuff. One of them might know or know where I could get the info, I'm home on break this week but when I get back I'll have to ask them.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:30 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

maybe I don't understand you, but I thought you said you want something to use instead of a fusible link. 20 gauge wire is really small and not rated to carry a lot of current, but you can accomplish the same thing by using a larger gauge wire, i.e. smaller number like 18 or 16 gauge, with a built in fuse holder that provides the amperage protection that the circuit needs. the important thing is that the fuse is the "weakest link", it will fail first before the wire gets hot enough to burn in two like the wire in a fusible link. the ones I'm talking about are just a piece of wire about 4-5 inches long with a plug in type fuse holder in the middle of it. you can make any type of connection you want/need on either end in order to install it in the circuit you want to protect. install a fuse in the holder and make sure it is not rated for more current than the device needs in the circuit and if there is a short circuit that blows the fuse, you can simply replace the fuse instead of the burned in two wire. don't ask for a fusible link, ask for an accessory fuse holder, I know Advance Auto has them, I bought one there last week.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:05 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

roundmanracing has a good idea.You can buy those fuse holders for just a few bucks.I use a few of them (THE ONES THAT YOU SOLDER INTO WHERE EVER) for things like ignition and what ever.

Just go to auto zone or any parts store and ask them for all their inline fuse holders and they have what you need i assure you.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:09 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

thanks for agreeing with me, I was beginning to think no one was listening.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:14 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

LOL i always listen to and respect my elders.LOL
Old 03-14-2004, 12:19 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

LOL, I was beginning to get a bad case of the Rodney Dangerfield snydrome! LOL
glad to see some of you youngsters were taught some manners by your momma!

Quick Reply: Fusible link guage to AMP conversion?