5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:58 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Default What Cam?

I have a 95 Gt. Just in case you haven't been following this, I have a broken down car at this point. The shop told me it was the timing chain, but now thinks it is a broken cam. What causes a cam to break? I have stock heads, what is the best cam for my motor? What is the highest lift, duration, etc. I can stuff in there without causing any problems? The mechanic tried to tell me if I put an upgraded cam in it, the computer wouldn't work right and therefore the car wouldn't run right. Has anyone ever had problems with that?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:36 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What Cam?

Most of the guys on here seem to like the E303 cam from FRPP, or the TFS stage 1 cam for a stock/mild engine. As for the computer problem, you'll most likely have to get a custom chip burnt for your mods (wich is good to do anyway). If you plan on adding more stuff (heads, new intake, etc.) you should probable do them before you get it tuned (chip) so you don't end up having to have a new one made.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

I've never heard of a stock cam breaking in a stock engine. Do you have any idea how many stock 5.0 engines are out there with stock cams that didn't break?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:23 AM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

i dont believe the cam is broke either
Old 04-13-2006, 12:24 AM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Yea. Doesn't make sense to me. He said the oil pump could have gone out and caused it. I kind of hope its that and not a burnt piston or something causing the problem. So I must have a custom burned chip? Where from? How much do they run?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:25 AM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Is it a good idea to get lifters at the same time?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

If they are damaged in any way. Might be a good idea anyways since you are already there. I think i'ma take the change and re-use mine tho.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:34 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Honestly the Ford abc cams are out dated, people only go with them because they "know a guy with one". The trick flow is pretty good, but don't exspect much of a gain on stock E7 heads. Personally I would keep your stock cam and go with better valve springs. Also you aske "whats the most amount of lift and duration I can run". This is a common mistake that many people make, bigger is not always better. A cam needs to work with the rest of the system, going big on one part will likley make the car slower. When in doubt with a cam, er on the small side. As for lifters, no you don't need new ones if it is a roller moter. You do however absolutly NEED new valve springs with any cam swap.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dsum14

Yea. Doesn't make sense to me. He said the oil pump could have gone out and caused it. I kind of hope its that and not a burnt piston or something causing the problem. So I must have a custom burned chip? Where from? How much do they run?
Ok, I'll play along....

If the oil pump quits working, the engine gets starved for oil. The bearings will begin to wear away as the oil dissipates. This would cause the bearing surfaces of the cam to be scored but wouldn't break the cam. You would have to get pretty deep into the cam bearings to score the bearing surface of the cam. Thru the first layer ( babbit ), maybe thru the second layer ( copper ) and into the steel backing of the bearing. Another good reason BTW, to cut open your oil filter when you change the oil. Anyway, I don't think the cam is broken, maybe F'd up, but not broken.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dsum14

Is it a good idea to get lifters at the same time?
As I posted in another "cam" question yesterday, if your going from a HYD roller to another HYD roller you don't *need* to replace them. It's a good idea to since it's all apart....I would do it.

Quick Reply: What Cam?