MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Tension pulley loosening (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/11644-tension-pulley-loosening.html)

Milky 03-15-2004 01:59 PM

Tension pulley loosening

I want to put on my new u/d pulleys but it looks to be impossible without loosening the tension pulley. I heard it was just a spring pushing against it but I can't get it up. Does someone know how to loosen the tenion pulley on a 94 cobra? Should be near the same as the fox bodies..

bmorrisj 03-15-2004 02:13 PM

RE: Tension pulley loosening

put a socket on the tensioner pulley, put a ratchet on it with a breaker bar, then push down, the tensioner should flip around, its easy enough to do with one hand so you can move the belt...

roundman 03-15-2004 02:20 PM

loosen the alternator pulley first before you release the tensioner or you'll never get it off, the belt under tension will help hold it so you can bust the nut loose. same thing applies to the water pump pulley bolts.

Milky 03-15-2004 02:26 PM

Ok, so if I take off the belt first it el be inpossible to get the bolts off cause they'll turn with out the tension there?

roundman 03-15-2004 02:35 PM

what, if anything, was unclear about what I just said? I didn't reply just for the hell of it, I'm trying to help you out! Yes you will not be able to get the nut off the alternator without the belt tension holding it, you will probably have to squeeze the belt even tighter and may need to use an impact wrench on the alternator nut to bust it loose! TRUST ME, THIS AIN'T NO BULL ****, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milky 03-15-2004 02:47 PM

ok man take it easy... no use in bustin a nut in your head over a reply.. i just wanted to make sure.... I appreciate your help and all but it would have been easier to say "ya"

bmorrisj 03-15-2004 02:55 PM

are you at home today, you need any help?

Milky 03-15-2004 02:56 PM

Ya im home but not supposed to... if you wanna come check it out you can come at around 10:30, but have to be gone by 12 lol my mom gets back then..

roundman 03-15-2004 02:56 PM

sorry about that, but I'm entitled to be in a bad mood today, last Thursday on the way home from the track the damn wind got my trailer to fishtailing and I lost control of it and the trailer jack knifed both ways and smashed in both sides of the bed on my truck and broke the right wheel and cut the tire and now I have to go get it fixed and we've got our first point race this weekend...................... good thing my racing buddy has an extra truck he's going to loan me to get my car to the track!

Milky 03-15-2004 02:58 PM

Ya no worries.. I fishtailed in my 88 stang and totalled it on the freeway in the rain... 12 sec car down the damn drain.. thanks for your help tho ;)