5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is this practical?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:18 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is this practical?

the main purpose of ceramic is that they will not discolor like the chrome.
ORIGINAL: collincastaneda

You guys arent really explaining it right. The ceramic headers are better because they allow all of the heat from the exhaust to go through the exhaust system and out the tips instead of the heat dissipating out of the headers into the engine compartment. The heat in the engine compartment isnt good because it would heat up the engine.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:24 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

just how much drop in temperature under the hood would I see If i went with ceramic over chrome bbk's ? I'm going carbed so I know m breather would be sucking air directly from under the hood, so I'm sure that would play more difference than if I were going FI and using a CAI to suck it from away from the engine...

-- OJM
Old 04-16-2006, 11:46 AM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Keeping the heat in the exhaust also helps with exhaust flow, because as exhaust gasses cool down, they lose velocity, and the scavaging effect is lessened.

Chrome doesnt just discolor, after a while, it can and will flake, and then rust.

Jet-hot isnt cheap, i wanted to have a set of long tubes coated by them, their cheapest coating, and they quoted me 299 dollars, and i would have to pay chipping there and back.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:27 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

You guys arent really explaining it right. The ceramic headers are better because they allow all of the heat from the exhaust to go through the exhaust system and out the tips instead of the heat dissipating out of the headers into the engine compartment. The heat in the engine compartment isnt good because it would heat up the engine.

No...I'm sorry Ikey but that is NOT the MAIN purpose of a ceramic coated header. I know it's really cool to have them and all that cause they wont turn rainbow colors and they wont rust...but their MAIN purpose in life is to KEEP THE HEAT IN and send it all out the exhaust.

Yea I'm kinda hesitant to get the chrome headers. But the price is sooo appealing! Anyone else on here running ceramic coated BBK unequal shorties?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Valcore
3rd Gear Member

i just got chrome equals, I don't think ceramic is worth the price on a street car... its like twice the price of chromes...
Old 04-16-2006, 04:09 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

chrome is more prone to rust. like they said it keeps heat in which will probably lower the temp in your engine bay which will kepp things from overheating
Old 04-16-2006, 04:49 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

if youre not driving a 9 or 10sec car, it IS the only purpose.

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

No...I'm sorry Ikey but that is NOT the MAIN purpose of a ceramic coated header. I know it's really cool to have them and all that cause they wont turn rainbow colors and they wont rust...but their MAIN purpose in life is to KEEP THE HEAT IN and send it all out the exhaust.

Yea I'm kinda hesitant to get the chrome headers. But the price is sooo appealing! Anyone else on here running ceramic coated BBK unequal shorties?
Old 04-16-2006, 05:25 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Okay Ikey....you're kinda mixing up words here. The creator of the ceramic coated header probably didnt mainly make them to look good. I understand the point you're trying to get at though. And...you're wrong.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:25 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Yup, I run them. Whadda you whanna know?
Old 04-16-2006, 05:28 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

How much were they and where did you get them?

Quick Reply: Is this practical?