5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is this practical?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 11:43 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Default Is this practical?

I found some BBK Unequal length shorties for my 90' 5.0. They are some sort of coated chrome or something. They are 159.99 before tax. Does that sound right. Or is the chrome coated **** just bs? Also...I just got an MSD rotor, dizzy cap and 8.5mm wires. Does this effect anything having the larger guage wires rather than the 8.0mm that came stock? I know they are less restrictive and all that but my motors stock. Any cons?

Injectors. Should I just get them cleaned up or get new ones. What do you think about those 19lb exploder ones that Tim put on his car. Said they're better.

lol I know theres a lot of questions but the chilton doesnt answer ever one of them so...you guys are my best bet.

So one more. The headers look like they could use a dremel to them to wipe out the excess weld material off of the insides of them. Could I do the same to my heads? A sort of DIY port/polish job on stock heads? Woud I be better off buying some aftermarket heads with higher flow ratios?

Thanks a million!
Old 04-15-2006, 12:51 AM
gt884me
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is this practical?

1st q. bbk chrome = are around 160, should get the ceramic. Wires should be ok, injectors-- get some injector cleaner you put it in your fuel tank, and for the heads its up to you, I am currently having someone port and polish my stock heads now.

ORIGINAL: collincastaneda

I found some BBK Unequal length shorties for my 90' 5.0. They are some sort of coated chrome or something. They are 159.99 before tax. Does that sound right. Or is the chrome coated **** just bs? Also...I just got an MSD rotor, dizzy cap and 8.5mm wires. Does this effect anything having the larger guage wires rather than the 8.0mm that came stock? I know they are less restrictive and all that but my motors stock. Any cons?

Injectors. Should I just get them cleaned up or get new ones. What do you think about those 19lb exploder ones that Tim put on his car. Said they're better.

lol I know theres a lot of questions but the chilton doesnt answer ever one of them so...you guys are my best bet.

So one more. The headers look like they could use a dremel to them to wipe out the excess weld material off of the insides of them. Could I do the same to my heads? A sort of DIY port/polish job on stock heads? Woud I be better off buying some aftermarket heads with higher flow ratios?

Thanks a million!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:37 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

The 8.5 wires just have more insulation than the 8's. Not a bad idea really.
Save some $$$$ and even buy used heads off e-Bay. They will be much better than you'll be able to do at home......
Old 04-15-2006, 02:37 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

the chrome coating will turn blue pretty quickly from the heat. Go w/ BBK's ceramic shorties or FRPP shorties . FRPP's are stainless steel and they use Jethot for their ceramic coated ones.

The MSD will help you have more complete combustion and maybe throttle response, but no real power gains (unless you needed a tune up anyway).

You can get used inj's pretty cheap if you need to get different ones. I don't think the exploder ones will work on a stang w/o some modification...I think the connector is different.

Porting: I used my dremel to do a DIY job on my heads and Exploder intake. If you don't want to spend any $, that's the way to go. If you have a couple hundred bux, get a set of GT40 P heads. Stock, they flow more than a set of DIY ported E7's. You could send them off to thumperoforangepark.com, I've heard he does really good work. Some guys on the forum used him.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:03 AM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys! I don't really mind the discoloration of the steel on the headers. It's to be expected. I just want to get some headers on my car. Going to go with the long tubes when I start building some real horsies. But that's not going to be for a while. You think I would have a noticable power gain from porting the heads myself?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:55 PM
5.0FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

So...the discoloration of the chrome is the only problem one would encounter w/ the chrome headers?? Are the ceramic coated headers THAT much better?...cuz I will be getting headers very soon and I don't wanna spend that extra money on ceramic coating if all it does is keep the original color of the headers...[&:]
Old 04-15-2006, 09:15 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ceramic helps hold heat in. Or if u want something better buy a used rusty set and send them to JetHot and have em do their treatment to em, ive heard its pretty sick.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:30 PM
5.0FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

so...holding the heat in...is...good? help any..performance wise? or just looks..or what?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:48 AM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0FoxBody

so...holding the heat in...is...good? help any..performance wise? or just looks..or what?
Yes, holding in the heat is good. How much power gained.... is questionable on a "street motor".

The main benefit is that the header stays looking good for a very long time & helps to keep the engine compartment temps down.

I personallly like ceramic coating because i don't burn the living snot out of my hands on the exhaust inspecting or changing the spark plugs between rounds at the race track.....
Old 04-16-2006, 02:47 AM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

You guys arent really explaining it right. The ceramic headers are better because they allow all of the heat from the exhaust to go through the exhaust system and out the tips instead of the heat dissipating out of the headers into the engine compartment. The heat in the engine compartment isnt good because it would heat up the engine.

Quick Reply: Is this practical?